CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

2003 Ford Explorer XLT: leaking..Transmission fluid..I..pack..seal

Hi, my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT is leaking Transmission fluid..I had the cylenoid pack replaced
about 2 months ago. it leaked after that, I took it back and they replaced the seal, but its leaking again...any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

Before I can assist you, I will need to know:

• What seal was replaced already?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe it was a gasket seal around the pan, I'll go get the receipt and look for sure
Ok, the seal for the tranmission pan from Ford is a hard plastic gasket. If you had the vehicle repaired somewhere other than a Ford dealership, they may have used the wrong type gasket which is why it is leaking.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry its a 4.0 v6.. it actually was done twice.. the 2nd time he ordered the part from Ford..would anything else cause the leak?
From the pan, a leak is rare. The pan itslef may have a slight defect in it causing it not too seal correctly. Other than that, I have personally not seen any problems with leaks from the pan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what else could be causing the leak?

The transmission pan could have a slight defect in it that the gasket cannot seal which can cause the leak.