CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

Ignition control module located on a 1998 ford mustang? 3.

where is the ignition control module located on a 1998 ford mustang? 3.8 V6
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

All of the ignition controls on the 1998 Ford Mustang V6 are internally controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. The PCM should be located up under the dash on the pasanger side next too the kick panel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand what you saying however I'm looking for the ICM which is a black rectangle which measures 2.5" x 4.5" and has a 12 pin plug in. This unit is also about 1/4" wide.
There is no ICM on the Mustang, There is something called a Constant Control Relay Module or CCRM. This module controls the fuel pump, cooling fans and the PCM power relay. This module is located next too the airbox in the passanger fender.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok I am aware of the CCRM located between the inner and outer passenger side fender. Thanks . . I think I need to back up a bit here . . I'm receiving troubling shooting code P0353 with definitions as follows:

1 Ignition coil defective

2 secondary ignition - plugs, wires, cap, rotor

3 Poor electrical connection or circujit fault

4 Driver circuit fault-ignition module or PCM

Items replaced and still have code

plugs, wires, ignition coil

The parts store looked the car and sold me an ICM F159 for this car so now I'm really confused. Can you help?

There is not Ignition Contol Module so I do not know what they sold you. Looking at the code you have and what you have replaced, I would suspect either a wiring problem between the coil and PCM or a faulty PCM.