Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

Ford Expedition My truck will not move in reverse.

My truck will not move in reverse. I was told it drives and shifts fine going forward. I try to reverse it and it goes about 2 feet and then just stops. I give it a little gas and it's like something is just holding it there. The parking brake cable appears to be ok (tight when engaged, loose when not in use) . I let a friend use the car one afternoon before this all happened, they didn't call and let me know when they reversed it they were having problems. They drove it home and parked it in their driveway in front of a wall. Tried to push the car in neutral with the engine off, it doesn't move at all going backwards. 1997 Ford Expedition 4.6L 4x4.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. If it sounds like the transmission is trying to move the vehicle and other words it sounds like its staining , then try putting the transfer case and four wheel low and tell me if it will back up, also jack up the vehicle with the transmission a neutral and tell me if you can spin all four wheels by hand
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put the truck into 4x4 Low, then tried to reverse, still gets held up at the same spot (will move in reverse a couple of feet then it just stops) Will try to jack up each wheel at a time and see if I can move them.
Yes jack it up so we can rule out any sort of a brake problem before we go out something more expensive like the drivetrain problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jacked up all wheels, found the problem, driver side front top caliper bolt came out, caliper fell off and was held in place by the bottom caliper bolt. Replaced bolt and is driving fine. Since they parked it up against the wall tight, it was head to hear or see anything. Thanks for your help!
You're welcome thank you very much