Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist

Ford E-250 How to replace front brake pads for the E-250

Customer Question

How to replace front brake pads for the E-250 2006.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

You will remove the tire/wheel. the remove the 2 bolts holding caliper on #6 shown. Once bolts out, slide claiper off the pads. Insert an old brake pad into caliper and use c clamp to compress the pistons back into caliper./ Add some small dabs of grease where the pads slide on bracket/caliper, slide cliper back over pads, tighten the 2 bolts, pump brake pedal

Front Brake Components - E250, E-350, Single Rear Wheel
Removal

WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

WARNING: Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

1. Check the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir. If required, remove the fluid until the brake master cylinder reservoir is half full.
  2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Maintenance/Service and Repair.

1. Release the speed sensor wiring from the front brake hose.
  2. CAUTION: Do not pry in the caliper sight hole to retract the pistons, as this can damage the pistons and boots.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang from the brake caliper flexible hose. Use a suitable tool to support the brake caliper.

Remove the 2 brake caliper bolts and position the caliper aside.

• Support the caliper using mechanic's wire.
  1. On E-150, remove the brake pad retaining springs.
  2. Remove the 2 brake pads and if equipped, remove the 4 retraction clips.
    • Discard the retraction clips.
  1. CAUTION: Install new pads if the lining(s) are worn to or past the specified thickness above the metal backing plate. Install new pads in complete axle sets.

Inspect the brake pads and brake disc for wear or contamination and install new as necessary.

1. Inspect the brake caliper for leaks.
    • If leaks are found, disassembly is required.

Installation

1. CAUTION: Do not allow grease, oil, brake fluid or other contaminants to contact the pad lining material. Do not install contaminated pads.

NOTE: If installing new brake pads, install all new hardware as supplied with the brake pad kit.

Install the 4 new retracting clips and the 2 brake pads.

1. CAUTION: Protect the piston and boots when pushing the caliper piston into the caliper piston bores.

If installing new brake pads, using a suitable tool and a worn brake pad, compress the brake caliper pistons into the caliper.

1. CAUTION: To prevent deterioration of the caliper sleeve boots, do not use petroleum-based lubricant.

Fill the rubber caliper sleeve boots with caliper grease.

1. Install the brake pads.
  2. On E-150, install the brake pad retaining springs.

1. Attach the speed sensor wiring to the front brake hose.
  2. CAUTION: Tighten the bottom caliper bolt before tightening the top caliper bolt.

CAUTION: Make sure the caliper pin boots are correctly seated to prevent damage to the guide pins.

Position the brake caliper and install the 2 bolts.

• On E-150, tighten to 32 Nm (24 ft. lbs.) .
  • On E-250, E-350, E-450, tighten to 31 Nm (23 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.
  2. Test the brakes for normal operation.

Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure the #6 bolts are the ones to remove? It looks like the #1 bolts would be the correct ones. What kind of tool do I need, is it a special T- head?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
my error very sorry. Looked at pic wrong. Yes, the #1 bolts. They can be one of a couple ways. either regular bolt head OR a "Torx" head bolt whick looks like a star. Cant remember the size of all but think its a 45 Torx. Or you can get cheap set of torx bits from parts store, walmart etc and.. they will come in handy for future as many cars use them and different sizes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I tried the #6 bolts, but that didn't seem to be right. I don't have a T-45 the biggest I've got is a T-40, it's too loose. Does it need to be hardened or ius it the kind of thing I can only get from ford?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
no, you can use any t45 bit, Once you have, set in place and give quick snap of the ratchet to break it free. If 40 too loose, then Like I suspect, it s T45
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Allright, off to the store, Thanks.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Pls let me know if you run into any problem. Thanks