Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

Ford F350 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4 My tow/haul light flashes on

Customer Question

My tow/haul light flashes on intermittently, and the transmission starts wanting to shift gears back and forth? I've been told that it could be the 2 sensors in/on the transmission. One sensor on each side of the transmission ? Can you please advise ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
The first thing to do is get the computer checked for trouble codes to keep fro,m replacing good parts. The trans range sensor on the drivers side of trans were linkage attach's is a possible problem. Parts stores will pull the code for free and we can pinpoint further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dealership told me that they got codes A85 and P99. Does that help you at all ? The technician told me that he would have to completely take down the transmission, tear it apart, in order to see what needs fixing...then why even try to obtain the codes if your going to tear it apart anyways ? I 'm just trying to get a feel for the possibilities ahead, and an approximate scope/price for the work ?
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
The codes should like a P0000 format The P stands for power train and than 4 digits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P0099 is the one code they gave me....and the other code they referenced was A85 or A0085 ? I hope this helps you give me an evaluation ? Thank you for your time, I don't need a bible answer, just want to know what to expect and or why they have to drop the transmission and tear it a part in order to find the problem....if they're able to pull the code from the OBD computer ? Thank you for your time once again.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the truck with you or is it at the dealer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the truck here at home with me, until next week, because they were unable to get to it today. All the dealership did, was run the diagnostics on the truck.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.

the codes they gave you are not correct I would drive by a parts store tomorrow and they will give you a print out of the codes. If the codes you relieved are real than the computer must be bad because there is such codes in the shop manual.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
Have you figured this out yet?