Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2001 Ford Escape: with the 3.0 V6 engine..3000 rpm..die..engine light

I have a 2001 Ford Escape with the 3.0 V6 engine. When cold, the engine will not idle correctly. The engines RPM will fluctuate from 1000 to about 3000 RPM and all of a sudden drop to about 500 at which point it will almost die and the 'check engine light" will appear breifly and go out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Providing they found all the vacuum lines that where leaking I would suspect the Valve is most likely bad and cleaning it would not resolve this problem and replacement it most likely needed. I would start with unplugging the IAC when the idle is acting up and see if the idle drops to slow and or dieing. If it dosnt replacethe IAC . If is does then the Problem is most likely the PCM (computer) has lost its ability to control idle speed and is at fault.