AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Why does my Ford Bronco sputter and miss when I give it gas?

Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello there!

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

Insulator cracks.
Wear.
Improper gap.
Burned electrodes.
Heavy deposits.

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts. Check spark plug wires by connecting ohmmeter to ends of each wire in question. If meter reads over 30,000 ohms, replace wire(s).
ALso, with engine running, spray coils and plug wires with fine water mist to check for shorts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simply bad an will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What all is included with a major tune up? Because the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil are fairly new.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
YUP! You covered it all except for the ignition coil

Even if the tune up parts are fairy new, they can still be bad causing the engine to misfire.

If the ignition components check out ok, then you could have a bad pickup inside the distributor. This too is very common.

Of course you are going to want to make sure that you do not have a fuel delivery concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it idles fine its only when I give it gas. it does feel like something IS grounding out though.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Is it misfiring or bogging down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

misfiring

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. I would try to isolate the cylinder that is misfiring and then check spark, fuel and compression on that cylinder. Chances are it will be easier than you think.
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector