Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2000 ford focus: fuel filter..hill..fuel pump..fuel pressure regulator

I have a 2000 ford focus, I have had to replace the fuel filter way more often than other vehicles I own. Last night I replaced the filter but it still wont pull the hill. I thought fuel pump but I see there is a computer operated fuel pressure regulator. wondering how to check out so I'm not buying un needed parts. Also the car has a tendency to not idle down as fast as it should, don't know if that could be related or not.
Thanks
Doug
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The vehicle is equipped with electronic multiport fuel injection that is supplied by a new electronic returnless fuel system. The powertrain control module (PCM) receives pressure information from a fuel pressure sensor mounted on the fuel injection rail. The PCM is able to maintain constant fuel pressure by varying the fuel pump module output.

If the pressure sensor was failing it would turn the check engine light on and in most cases set a fault code. The typical problem with the 2000 Focus was caused by a failing fuel pump and the place to start is to measure fuel pressure when the problem is occurring. Normal pressure should hold 35 to 55 psi, anything less replace the pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a fault code I haven't pulled it because in the past it just said misulanius (cant spell) misfire. If it were the PCM would it identify it by the code and if so what would the code be?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
There are 4 that can set . See the list below.

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction (FRP)The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor to the PCM for VREF voltage. The test fails when the VREF voltage from the PCM drops to a voltage less than a minimum calibrated value.
  • VREF open in harness.
  • VREF open in sensor.
  • VREF open in PCM.
Verify VREF voltage between 4.0 and 6.0V.
P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Performance (FRP)The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP pressure for acceptable fuel pressure. The test fails when the fuel pressure falls below or exceeds a minimum/maximum calibrated value for a calibrated period of time.
  • High fuel pressure.
  • Low fuel pressure.
  • Damaged FRP sensor.
  • Excessive resistance in circuit.
  • Low or no fuel.
A FRP PID value during KOER of 138 kpa (20 psi) and 413 kpa (60 psi) for gasoline or 586 kpa (85 psi) and 725 kpa (105 psi) for natural gas vehicles (NG) is acceptable.
P0192 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input (FRP)The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for low voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and amount of time during testing, the test will fail.
  • FRP signal shorted to SIG RTN or PWR GND.
  • FRP signal open (NG only)
  • Low fuel pressure (NG only)
  • Damaged FRP sensor.
  • Damaged PCM.
A FRP PID value during KOER or KOEO less than 0.3 volts for gasoline or 0.5 volts for natural gas vehicles (NG) would indicate a hard fault.
P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input (FRP) The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for high voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and a calibrated amount of time during testing, the test will fail.
  • FRP signal shorted to VREF or VPWR.
  • FRP signal open (gasoline only)
  • Low fuel pressure (NG only)
  • Damaged FRP sensor.
  • Damaged PCM.
  • High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel pressure regulator) NG.