Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

Ford Telstar RV I have an 89 Ford Telstar RV by Champion with

I have an 89 Ford Telstar RV by Champion with a 460 engine. Problems- belts squeal at startup- takes a few minutes, then they stop- usually, as I am driving away. The latest problem is that, on startup, I hear something cycling on and off. This is always connected to the AC being on I think. It stops when I turn off the AC. If I leave the AC on, it (the cycling on and off) stops after I get going. When the engine is warmed up it doesn't happen again. I can drive for 20 minutes, and it doesn't happen again after shutting down and starting up again- only first thing in the morning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks- Judy
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. The squealing is very commonly caused by faulty or worn belts themselves replace the belts and checked very carefully to see if the water pump may have a leak getting anti freeze on to the belts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure you got this part- would the belts have something to do with the cycling on/off of whatever it is I'm hearing? Thanks- Judy
No the belts would not make the AC drive cycle on and off, this is just a normal function of the air conditioning
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With cold engine, the cycling is within seconds- on...off...on... off...on... off. Is that the norm- 3 seconds on, 3 off? Once I get going, that cycling seems to stop- of course, I'm driving at this point, so I don't hear it. Thanks for the clarification again- Judy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not certain you replied to this question-
"With cold engine, the cycling is within seconds- on...off...on... off...on... off. Is that the norm- 3 seconds on, 3 off? Once I get going, that cycling seems to stop- of course, I'm driving at this point, so I don't hear it. Thanks for the clarification again- Judy"
It's the quickness of the cycling on and off that I have never hear before. That's my question- is that a normal occurrence?
If the weather is warm a and it is cycling on and off 3 seconds as you say then the first thing I would do is checked the level of the freon or the refrigerant it most likely has a small leak and is slightly low on refrigerant