Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

How do you change a front wheel bearing on a 1997 Ford F150 4x4?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions:

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the disc brake caliper.
  4. Remove the disc brake pads and anti-rattle clips.
  5. Remove 2 anchor plate retaining bolts and remove the anchor plate.
  6. Remove the disc brake rotor.
  7. Remove 3 disc brake rotor shield retaining bolts and the shield.
  8. If equipped with 4-wheel ABS, remove the speed sensor retaining bolt and move the speed sensor and harness aside.
  9. Remove the hub nut cotter pin, retainer and the hub nut. Discard the cotter pin.
  10. Remove 3 hub assembly retaining bolts from the inside of the steering knuckle.graphic
  11. Push the CV-joint inward and remove the hub assembly.

If necessary, use a suitable puller to separate the hub assembly from the CV-joint. Use care not to over extend the CV-joint and boot when removing the hub assembly.

1. If required, remove the grease seal from the steering knuckle.

To install:

1. If removed, install a new grease seal with Seal Installer T96T-1175-A, Drawbar T77F-1176-A and Cup Replacer T80T-4000-P, or equivalents.
  2. Install the hub assembly to the steering knuckle and secure with 3 retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 110-145 ft. lbs. (149-201 Nm).
  3. Align the splines, then push the CV-joint into the hub assembly.
  4. If equipped with 4-wheel ABS, install the speed sensor and secure with 1 retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 60-84 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).
  5. Install the disc brake rotor shield and 3 retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 80-107 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).
  6. Install the hub nut and tighten to 188-254 ft. lbs. 255-345 Nm).
  7. Install the hub nut retainer and a new cotter pin.
  8. Install the disc brake rotor.
  9. Place the anchor plate in position and install 2 retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 125-168 ft. lbs. (170-230 Nm).
  10. Install the brake pad anti-rattle clips and install the disc brake pads.
  11. Install the disc brake caliper.
  12. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Torque the lug nuts to 83-112 ft. lbs. (113-153 Nm).
  13. Lower the vehicle.
  14. Pump the brake pedal several times to position the brake pads prior to moving the vehicle.
  15. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the disc brake caliper.
  6. Remove the disc brake rotor.
  10. Remove 3 hub assembly retaining bolts from the inside of the steering knuckle.
    graphic
    View Full Image

To install:

8. Install the disc brake rotor.
  11. Install the disc brake caliper.
  13. Lower the vehicle.