Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

1995FordExplorer: the alarm..door chime..unlocking..interior light

Customer Question

1995 Ford Explorer. looks like the alarm is going off but no sound. I hear the door chime, all the doors keeps unlocking on its own along with the interior light. Any suggestions? Also when i switch the headlights on, the problem stops. When i have the vehicle running with doors open, the problem stops but when i close the door, the problem begins and the "door ajar" light blinks.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 2 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

sounds like problem is GEM module- General electronic module which commands all those functions. those modules are known for failure, but before replacing it, you must verify that all ground and power supply to module are present.

Pavlin Koev :

ig module is missing ground, or if it has weak groung it will do all this things, as electricity is will founds its ground though other components.

Pavlin Koev :

I mean through other componnents.

Pavlin Koev :

I will send you GEM module plug schematic with each wire application

Pavlin Koev :

so you or your mechanic can check

Customer:

i just tried opening and closing all doors while the vehicle is running, i think the one giving me problems is the driver door

Pavlin Koev :

the ajar switch is the one usually fails,

Pavlin Koev :

use heavy WD40 spray

Pavlin Koev :

and slam door few times

Customer:

do you know where is that located at?

Pavlin Koev :

look at lower door frame

Pavlin Koev :

sorry body frame for front door

Pavlin Koev :

it is the one door pushes it when closed

Customer:

i tried looking around for that, i think its internal with the door latch

Pavlin Koev :

if not there it is part of door latch

Pavlin Koev :

when door is closed it will close and ground the circuit for adjar light

Pavlin Koev :

spray this lutch and close hard few times. but there must be more than that if it all goes when head lights are swithed ON

Pavlin Koev :

Howeve, if you will need to check Gem module . let me know and I will send you GEM plug info

Customer:

that will be a lot of help if can get the GEM plug info

Customer:

I would of got all the diagrams for this vehicle from my school, but there close on the weekends. We have alldata.

Pavlin Koev :

ok, give me few minutes and I will prepair it for you

Pavlin Koev :

click on the link -LINK

Customer:

is this located right next to the radio?

Customer:

Thanks

Pavlin Koev :

yes it is behind senter if instrument panel.

Pavlin Koev :

sorry I mean center of dash

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.