SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2005 Focus: hesitating..jerking..accelerating and..driving down

Customer Question

My car (2005 Focus) is hesitating and jerking while accelerating and just driving down the road. It just started a couple days ago. No engine light on. I have 128,000 miles. At 100,000 I had the coolant, fuel filter and spark plugs changed. I has no get up, and it seems noisier than usual. It's acceleration reminds me of my old Escort when the air was on. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
The symptom you have described sounds like your fuel pressure is lower than desired, I would advise you have the fuel pressure measured, as the symptom has just started it may not have had time to detect the fault and turn on the check engine light, however even though the light is not on, it does not mean that there are not diagnostic trouble codes stored in the PCM! I would advise that you go to your local auto parts store and ask them to run a free code scan of the pcm and see! Also, you described a noise, and sometimes noises like this and a lack of power at the same time are attributed to an accessory or belt driven pulley on the front of the engine is starting to seize, take the belt of and spin each of the pulleys to see if they spin smoothly and freely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea how to do any auto repairs - "Take the belt off and spin". My husband used to do all that but he passed away! I do know I can go to auto zone & get a reading. And from there I can only go to a auto repair place or the dealer.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your husband! to remove the fan belt is an easy and fast operation for any local shop and it should not cost very much to ask a local mechanic to remove the belt for you and verify that you do not have a bad pulley bearing, I would hate to see a pulley completely stop turning while you are driving as this could cause a belt to come off and potentially leave you stranded, The clerk at the auto parts store may even be able to take a listen to the pulleys and detect if the noise is coming from this area! While you are there, ask them if their scan tool has the ability to see what the electronic fuel pressure sensor is reading, some non-ford scan tools have this ability! The pressure should not drop less than 35 psi, nor go greater than 70 psi

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Did you get this problem corrected?