Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

2003 f250 super duty: same problem..transfer case shifter..connector

Customer Question

Got a 2003 f250 super duty electric shift on the fly. Proplem is no shifting going on, changed the electric motor, same problem, checked motor with bat charger works fine, checked transfer case shifter with adj. Wrench works fine, checked for power at motor wire connector no power. Checked fuses both good. Need to know where the power to transfer case motor comes from. Checked 4x4 switch 4 wire connector and only found 42 ma of power there.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Do you have a scanner that can pull codes for the 4X4 control module? Simply checking for power at the motor really isn't a place to start diagnosis, there are a ton of things that can prevent voltage at the motor. Here is the diagram for the wiring, as you can see there are relays that need commands from the 4X4 module to power the motor on either the yellow or orange wire. These are not constant voltages, once the motor moves the module removes power. The motor also has a contact plate with 5 wires that provides motor position back to the 4X4 Module. There is also a separate vacuum control for the pulse vacuum operated auto hublocks. A fault here can also prevent the module from engaging the motor. Without having fault codes you are pretty much blind as to what area of the system is at fault. You can check all these fuses:
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
    • 19 (10A) (late production)/(5A) (6.0L Diesel)
    • 27 (15A)
    • 31 (15A)
    • 33 (15A)
    • 34 (10A) (early production)
    • 111 (30A)
CLICK HERE FOR SHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS.
graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a solus scan tool will try that
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had codes p1876, p1867, p1828,p1820, p1812 probley from checking plug ends, cleared codes , ran koeo test came back p1876 t-case 2wd solenoid circuit fault. Where should I go next? Please give short cuts & locations
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Find the solenoid for the hublocks next to the starter solenoid on the inner passenger fender .Looks like this:

graphic

Check for power at center wire with key on and Mode switch set to 4X4 high. If power install a jumper (with key on and connector plugged into solenoid) between center wire and both outer wires one at a time. The solenoid should click with either wire being jumped if it does not click or if it only clicks on one wire then replace solenoid clear codes and see if its fixed. Make sure you clear the code or it won't work even if its fixed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Checked solenoid - no click, so changed solenoid ($75.76) still no click, voltage at center termail is 11.76v, battery voltage is 12.56v.also I cleared the codes first. If I shut off the ign. And restart motor it will go in to 4x4 high then if you turn the switch to 4x4low it goes back to 2w high have tryed this 3 times. At this point I would not like to put on parts that are not needed!(it will eveft the tip)
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
So is the 1876 gone now if you scan it? I replace these all the time for this problem.
It goes into 4X4 each time now ( not worried about low right now ) and stays if you drive it around? If you have a new solenoid with that voltage on the center terminal and it does not click when jumped to either outside terminal then it must be a bad solenoid. Its a brand new solenoid it should click. Maybe you are not getting a good connection. Really don't care about tip.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Kenny, took the old & new solenoids & a small battery charger & checked them, the new one clicks on both sides
The old one clicks just on one side. ( so need replaceing anyway) but what does that tell you about being hooked up with the test leads and not working, not grounding out? As for codes p1867 t-case contact plate circuit fault is the only code. ( what is this part & where is it located?) I have a new t- case electric motor here if that's it. I know those go bad as well .
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
That is strange that it won't click in the vehicle. All I can think of is you not getting the lead in deep enough to make contact. The 1867 contact plates are part of the shift motor, they provide position feedback to the module. More than likely the motor but could be a wire or module concern. I would try the motor first since you have one and they are easy to replace.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the electric motor on the t-case, cleared the code, started the motor turned the switch to 4x4high, nothing, no motor sounds, no light on dash, and I used a new motor not a rebuilt one. Shut off ign. Tryed again
Same thing. This is to strange, the scan tool says the positions when I turn the dial
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

scanner says the switch positions or the contact plate positions?

Do you hear the hublock solenoid click when in you engage 4x4?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the scanner reads switch position, plate 1,2,3,4, open or closed, shaft rotation cw/ccw.

as for the soleniod don't know, couldn't be in two places at once, will check tomorrow with helper

connections on the electic motor were put together before motor was bolted up to make sure they were right and tight, note connections, and wires are clean and good condishion.

thanks, Lloyd

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
I understand what the scanner can display, wanted to know what pids are changing as you move the switch. Let me know on the solenoid tomorrow. Do the 4x4 indicators prove out when cranking the engine?

Thanks,

Kenny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

prove out? do you mean come on -yes when key is in start position and when you let off the key

good night, Lloyd

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
K ttyl
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a chance to grab someone to check the solnoind and no click or any thing
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

Its weird how it went in when you first cleared the code after installing the solenoid. I know when there are uncleared codes or hard faults from other components it will usually not operate. If you have the codes cleared and the contact plate code keeps coming back and it has a new motor then the next step will be to pinpoint test the wires from the contact plate to the module, thats all thats left besides the module itself. This is kind of getting too involved for diagnosis over the web. I am going to opt out, let me know if you want a refund and I will request one for you.

Thanks,

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is surpose to be a no cost to me for one month, because I used the service on a nother problem and it's free for a month. If this is the case I am willing to let you have the money, if not I'll take your offer.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me know if they charge you any additional and I will get it back to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Kenny I will check my account
Thanks for your help to this point
Lloyd
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome and good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kenny, was away for awhile now checking this f250 again. The two outside wires at the sol. Don't ground out when I turn the switch, at this point I think it's the module, where is the 4x4 module located?
Next I hooked up test leads from sol. To plug in, have power to center termail, when I ground one side I get 6 hg at the wheels, when I ground the other side it goes to zero, is this correct?
Next , front lock in hubs, they stay locked in all the time, I checked the out side turn piece it is in auto position. I took
My hand vac. Pump and gave it 6hg then 18 hg both times stayed locked in. Is this vac. Close enought to make the hub work?
Thank you for any help you may give me Lloyd
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Didn't reply