Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2004 Ford F150: 5.4 Triton..V8..a ticking noise..filter change

I bought a used 2004 Ford F150 with a 5.4 Triton V8. I noticed a ticking noise from the engine when I got home. It came with a new oil & filter change, but the filter was not a Ford Motorcraft and I'm not sure if the oil was 5w20 or not. So I changed both as recommended by Ford. The ticking isn't as loud now but is still there. I've read that the cam phasers might have been damaged from the wrong oil and filter. Do I really have to change the cam phasers or will the ticking go away with time? Should I insert those locks to either retard or advance the timing on the cams and do away with the phasing which causes that ticking noise? Or is there an oil additive I can use to help the flow through those small passages in the cam phasers? Thanks for your help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing is a common problem on the 2004 and 2005 engines and Ford has released a TSB that deal with the diagnosis and proper repair and in most cases it requires you replace the Lash adjuster as well as the Phasers. I have enclosed the TSB for your review.

DOWNLOAD TSB HERE