SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

Ford F150 Lariat My 2004 f150 will not start, will not turn

My 2004 f150 will not start, will not turn over. Dash lights come on some times but not all the time. Hear clicking noise coming from the fuse box. Any Ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
Usually a clicking noise is an indication that a component has an inadequate ground, and that can be caused by a loose ground connection or even a bad cell in a battery, have you attempted a jump start at this point?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The clicking noise is coming from the fuse box. I have not tried to jump it but I tested the batt. and it has 13.5 volts. I cleaned all the batt conections.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

batteries should never have any more than 12.6 volts unless the engine is running! If a battery has a bad cell, it could show good when there is no load on it, but once a large load is placed on it, it can cause a bad cell to short out internally, I would advise that you attempt a jump start, (PLEASE WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND STAND AT A DISTANCE) as a battery with a shorted cell can explode, I have seen it happen! if the vehicle does start with a jump, replace the battery and retest!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried to jump it and bought a new Batt. Still just clicks and all the dash lights go out.

Batt only had 12.5 volts, I just typed it wrong. It has a (I think) after market anti theft device. It is a little fob like the one for the doors and it has to be next to the key or push the button on it to let it start. I have changed the battery in that fob. I can not find any name on it (inside or out) to contact the company. I had it at the dealer previously and they had never seen this before. They also could not find anything on the truck that would relate to the fob (even inside the steering collum). But the truck will not turn over without this fob being next to the key. Could this fob speak to the chip in the key? Have you ever ran across this type of anti theft?

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
just once, the fob would talk to a receiver that plugged directly into a relay, and without the fob, the relay would not close, on that vehicle it was the fuel pump relay that was affected. Lets try an ignition switch bypass test to see if we can get it to crank, make sure the truck is in park, and the park brake is set, open the hood and locate a single wire connector that is between the battery and the alternator, the wire color should be yellow with a light blue stripe, there is a circular shaped connector in the area that you must squeeze the center of the connector to separate the two halves, once separated take the half that goes toward the engine and take a jumper wire and connect one end to the wire that goes to the engine and then momentarily touch the other half to the battery positive terminal and let me know if the starter cranks over.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes starter does crank over useing this method
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
turn the key to run and do this again to see if the engine runs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes runs
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Ok, look at the attached fuse box illustration and check the indicated fuse, if it is ok, swap out relay #1with relay #2 and restore that starter wire from the last test and see if the truck starts with the key