A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ford Taurus 2002 Ford Taurus Car runs rough. I am getting

2002 Ford Taurus

Car runs rough.

I am getting these codes:

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Ok. The codes P0401 and P1401 are for the DPFE sensor for the EGR system. Below is a picture of the sensor for your Taurus.

It is mounted behind your engine near the center of the firewall. Replace the sensor and clear the codes. See if the other codes come back. The other codes are miss fire codes. The EGR system can cause rough running and miss fires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I will try to obtain this part tomorrow from the parts store, install it, and reset the codes. I will let you know what happens. By the way, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will reset the codes, correct?

Yes. it will clear the codes.

I'll be back online tomorrow evening.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I replaced that sensor, unplugged the battery for awhile.

It seems like it may be driving better now, but still not like it should. Here's an example of what it has been doing:

Go to a stop sign. Now, accelerate onto the road and the car "hiccups" or "hesitates" as it accelerates. Even at highway speeds on cruise, every so often, just for a fraction of a second, it will seem to "hiccup". It is much more common accelerating from a stopped position, or when going up a hill.

The Engine Light is OFF, so I assume there are currently no codes to give you... unless it is possible to get codes without the engine light coming on. The car is being driven some right now, so perhaps the light may come back on.

I noticed 1 or 2 other sensors behind the engine near this one. Do any of those have anything to do with the EGR system?

Ok. Then lets go back to the miss fire codes. P0301 P0302 and P0316.4

The codes P0301 and P0302 are for miss fires on cylinder 1 and 2. They are on the back side of the engine near the firewall starting at the serpentine belt.

Since you replaced the plug wires, you might want to look at the spark plugs.

The code P0316 is a code the ECU (Engine Computer) sets when it sees a miss fire in the first 1000 engine cycles or revolutions.

It cannot determine the cylinder causing the miss fire.

Inspect and clean or replace the spark plugs.

Then road test the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks! I'll try that and let you know the results.

I'll be online for a while tonight, then I'll be back online tomorrow after 6:00PM EST.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just got plugs and wires, getting ready to replace them now.

Below are the current Engine Codes I have, these codes are before changing plugs and wires. I will reply with updates in a bit after I get these changed out.

Just keep me informed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The parts store sold me the wrong wires with the wrong connectors at the end, so that made the process take much longer than it should have. Anyway, new plugs and new wires are installed now.

The car runs MUCH BETTER now!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

While driving it this evening, the Engine Light came back on, but it didn't seem to affect the performance of the car.

It might be the P1151 code, but that's just a guess until I can get the codes read again tomorrow. How should I take care of the P1151?

Glad the wires and plug fixed the running rough problem.

As for the code P1151, this code is for the 02 sensor near the radiator on the exhaust manifold is stating that that side of the engine is running lean, and a miss fire could cause that. But since the vehicle is running good, it could be a different code. Let me know what the code is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I got the codes checked today. The code is P1151. That is the only code showing now.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just got an email saying that you were waiting on me... but actually I am waiting on you. See my previous reply.

Sorry I have been out of town for school for the dealership.

The code P1151 is for the 02 sensor on the passenger side near the radiator on the exhaust manifold.

If you are not having any running problems, replace the 02 sensor. I recommend a factory Ford sensor. but you can replace it with one you are comfortable with from any auto parts store. Make sure it is a Bosch sensor though.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm going to replace it sometime, but not right now, as it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance. I'm going to go ahead and accept your answer.

Thank you for your expertise in getting the enging running better!!!!!

You are very welcome.