Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master
6458937

WSS-M2C945-A spec replace the WSS-M2C925-A for motor oil 5w/20

Customer Question

does the WSS-M2C945-A spec replace the WSS-M2C925-A for motor oil 5w/20
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

Brad B :

Hello:

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Brad B :

For the spec of; WSS-M2C925-A you will need to use a full synthetic 5w-20.

Here is the spec page from AMSOIL: http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2010+LAND%20ROVER+LR4+D
Mobil Extended performance 5w-20 also meets this specification.

Brad B :

WSS-M2C925-A is an extended range oil which is for longer range oil change intervals

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

That information in regards to AMSOIL is about a 2010 Land Rover, I am looking for the 2011 LR-4

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

So does that mean the M2C925-A is different then M2C945-A?

Brad B :

Sorry the specs are the same for 2010. Here is the 2011 page;
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2011+LANDROVER+LR4+D

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

Not knowing much about Amsoil is the XL-5w/20 somthing special? or is it like the Mobil ! or castrol Edge products?

Brad B :

Both of those specs are for 5w-20

Brad B :

The spec for your vehicle is for 5w-20 what makes it so special is that the oil is for extended oil change intervals

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

So if you have a 5w/20 syntheitc motor oil it can be used in this spec WSS-M2C925-A without any problems. Again is the M2C945-a a higher specification and replaces M2C925-A

Brad B :

You will have to buy an extended range 5w-20 oil which you can buy from just about any of the major oil change companies which the oil bottle will say extended range on it and most will show on the back the spec it is made for which will have your spec on the back if it is good. If you go by a lower interval say 5,000 miles then you can essentially use a synthetic blend with no issue

Brad B :

Yes you are correct that it is a higher spec and has a longer interval which any after market oil company will have the oil which will say it is an extended range oil.

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

If I understand what you are saying then a WSS-M2C945-A synthetic motor oil beats or can be used in place of a WSS-M2C925-A requirement

Brad B :

Yes you will need to use a full synthetic extended range 5w-20 oil to meet the specifications.

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

Do you have a list of oils that meet this spec like Castrol - Valvoline etc

Brad B :

One moment will see what I can come up with on which meets the specs

Brad B :

Looking up valvoline specs but having troubles finding the spec

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

In talking to other oil people they state that the M2C925-A is a GF-3 product and they meet the European specs. That the M2C945-A is a replacement for the M2C925-A product.

Brad B :

Valvoline does not recommend synthetic until 75,000. Would be cautious of the Valvoline oil as they are real unclear on the exact specifications and looks like their spec to meet Ford's is 5w-30; http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/NextGen_Conventional.pdf

Brad B :

For your vehicle it is recommended to use a full synthetic 5w-20 extended range oil

Brad B :

Both specs are 5w-20 long range oils

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

I am trying to make sure that the information is correct. I have talked to three other people and two agree with you, but the other two state something different. Before I agree to your anwser I need to know the total story

Brad B :

What are you having troubles with? I am here to make sure you are 100% satisfied and will do what it takes to make sure you have all of the correct facts for your question.

Brad B :

Looking over the specs of most of the major oil manufacturers all show 5w-20 extended range oils to meet or exceed the specs of your needed oil. All of the links I provided are recommended.

Brad B :

The last two links show the spec and both are 5w-20 which if you look at the date of WSS-M2C925-A this was posted in Jun 18, 2004... The second link shows WSS-M2C945-A which was published in Jul 30, 2010

Brad B :

WSS-M2C945-A is the updated spec which is GF-5

Brad B :

The two oils are about identical and with todays synthetic blend / full synthetic oils they will meet / beat the specified needs for your engine.

Brad B :

Only oil company who disagrees with the oil weight is Valvoline which has 5w-30 showing for the requirements

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

No Kendall and Castrol both state that they don't have a product that meets the WSS-M2C925-A GF-3 spec. In pushing the last two links I get a Ford page but it shows me nothing. Where do I need to go that shows the information you stated.

Brad B :

Sorry for the confusion, some of the oil companies do not show an oil that will meet the specs. Most of the major companies do show a spec though..... Castrol does have one in their full synthetic line; http://www.castrol.com/castrol/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9034356&contentId=7063483 .....

Brad B :

WSS-M2C945-A = part # X0-5W20-5LSP = http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us186234us.pdf ...

Brad B :

WSS-M2C945-A is GF-5

Brad B :

Here is some information what GF-5 is; http://www.gf-5.com/

Brad B :

Reading over WSS-M2C945-A, Ford's synthetic blend 5w-20. On the back of the bottle it says it meets the specification.

Brad B :

I used the two links just to show the publication date of the oil #'s which WSS-M2C945-A is the newer number over WSS-M2C925-A.

Straight from the book; Engine Oil

Use SAE 5W/20 oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A-.

Note: For topping up a maximum of 1 liter of 5w/20 oil meeting specification ILSACGF-4 API SM can be used.

Brad B :

To answer your question WSS-M2C945-A does replace WSS-M2C925-A. Being WSS-M2C945-A supercedes WSS-M2C925-A it will meet or beat the specifications for your needs.

Brad B :

Would be the same as the ASE oil standards which over time they go from SA, SB, to what is present now of SM (you can use the higher number of the oil recomendation but nothing lower).

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

Does Ford have a product data sheet stating that the WSS-M2C945-A supercedes the WSS-M2C925-A ?

Brad B :

do not have a data sheet showing the exact specs.

Brad B :

do you have a specific oil you are looking at using?

Brad B :

Look at that link and you will see this oil is GF-5.

I cannot find any information on the WSS-M2C925-A for exact specs, this numbers a 5w-20 oil. Here is an old link to the same oil:

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

If you read over the 5w-20 you will see the spec is GF-4. Which on the back of this bottle says it meets WSS-M2C925-A. Over the years the oil specs are constantly being upgraded to meet new car demands whether it be for power, oiling or fuel economy. For your spec you can use any number higher (GF-4, GF-5 and up) but cannot use any number lower). Most of the oils that will work for your car will say they meet the WSS-M2C925-A spec which WSS-M2C945-A is not the new number which will meet / beat the WSS-M2C925-A specs.

Brad B :

Also if you look at both links the SAE spec for the old bottle is 'SM' the new one is 'SN' (can use any number above the 'SM' rating.

Brad B :

If you have any questions please let me know!

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

So were back to the new spec is GF-5 replaces GF-4 which replaced GF-3, But the WSS-M2C945-A doesn't match or replace the WSS-M2C925-A.

Brad B :

wss-m2c945-a does replace it

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

I have three oil companies that state that isn't the case. So do you have anything that states that!

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

Need it to state that Ford WSS-M2C925-A is superseded by WSS-M2C945-A

Brad B :

Do not have a paper stating that it is superceded. If you look at the new motorcraft 5w-20 it says it meets WSS-M2C925-A specs. The new oil is WSS-M2C945-A.

JACUSTOMER-h31efizm- :

When you say look at the Motorcraft 5w/20 and it say that it meets WSS-M2C925-A and now meets WSS-M2C945-A where does it say that I look at the Ford Motorcraft spec sheet and it states that it meets the WSS-M2C945-A, but no where does it say it met the WSS-M2C925-A spec. I am being told that the WSS-M2C925-A spec is different and still a good spec and hard to match with other oils. Need something that will answer this question.