Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.

Ford focus what are the procedures for replacing the thermostat

Customer Question

what are the procedures for replacing the thermostat on a 2008 ford focus.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 2 years ago.

Brad B :

Hey Camino:

Welcome Back......

Brad B :

I am pulling up the information now for you to read over to see the process of how to replace the thermostat. It is in a bit of a tight spot.

Brad B :

CLICK HERE for information.

Brad B :

It is easier to remove the cooling fan / shroud to give more room. I have done it without pulling the cooling fan is a real tight fit which I founf it easiest to do from underneath the car which for this it really helps to use drive on ramps or jack stands to get the front end off the ground to work underneath.

Brad B :

Book time to do this job is 1.8 hours.

Customer:

is it up at the upper hose or is it down at the lower?

Brad B :

Will be on the passenger side of the vehicle (left side of the radiator). Goes near the air conditioning compressor.

Customer:

i think im goin in the right direction on the problem. cooling system is full, engine fan comes on, withe the radiator cap off, it doesnt blow up out of the radiator when starting. so i dont think i have a head problem , but as it warms up it starts overflowing out, then it gets hot even thou the fan is on

Brad B :

Will be on the pulley side of the engine on the side where the drive belt is

Customer:

does tghis sound like the thermostat is stuck closed

Brad B :

For a lack of flow issue when the vehicle starts to warm up turn on the heater to full hot and full speed to see if the temperature drops. If it does the radiator needs to be checked out and possibly flushed. If no temperature change then the thermostat is most likely the issue.

Customer:

so this housing is at the lower hose connection, correct?

Brad B :

If the engine seems to warm up fairly fast the thermostat is most likely the fault, the housing is at the lower hose (left side of the radiator if you are standing in front of the vehicle).

Brad B :

The thermostat will come with the housing

Customer:

it doesnt take long to warm up, gauge gets about half way, then the fan comes on, then if you hold the rpm's up it goes to hot right away

Brad B :

Double check that by having the heater on full heat / speed that the temperature does not drop.

Make sure you do not see a lot of bubbles in the cooling system

If all of the above is ok then the thermostat is stuck closed.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Brad B :

No problem, anytime!

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.