Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

2004 Ford Ranger XLT: the spindle hub bearing assembly..bolt..roughly

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 liter. I'm trying to get off the spindle hub bearing assembly on front passenger side. In front of the the assembly is a big bolt roughly 1.25 inches in diameter. When I try to get that off the spindle shaft just spins it doesn't lock. I removed the brake caliper, rotor and I took off the 3 bolts on the back of the assembly. The old assembly is rusted out pretty bad it almost seems like it is welded on. This Chiltons manual I'm using doesn't seem to have my particular model. It talks about a locking hub assembly and I'm not sure if mine is. What do I have to do to get this assembly off properly? This is my first time attempting this please help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

sounds like the spindle threads are striped and the nut will not come off

Steve :

if you cannot get the nut off and it just spins then you will need to replace the whole assembly cv shaft and all

Steve :

you will need to remove the whole assembly via the ball joints and replace the cv shaft

Customer:

Do I have to remove cv boot and upper control arm?

Steve :

yes

Steve :

since it is striped yes

Steve :

you will need to replace them unless you can get the nut off

Customer:

I don't fully understand do I have to replace cv boot also or just the spindle shaft or all of it?

Steve :

it is all attached as on need the whole cv shaft

Steve :

NEED TO BUY A COMPLETE CV SHAFT

Customer:

So to take off CV shaft I need to remove upper control arm?

Steve :

yes

Steve :

unless you can get the nut off

Steve :

if not all needs replaced

Customer:

I have the new hub assembly so if I order a CV shaft will that come with new bearings and all or will that be a separate cost?

Steve :

that is seperate

Steve :

the cv shaft is just the shaft the bearing is just the bearing need spindle what the shaft goes through

Customer:

So to remove cv shaft I have to take off the boots and the snaprings?

Steve :

to take the shaft out you need to remove the nut that is striped

Customer:

to remove cv shaft I have to remove all the boots and the snaprings?

Steve :

if the nut does not come out then you need to remove the cv and spindle as a assembly

Steve :

no snAP RING

Steve :

THE PROPER WAY IS YOU REMOVE THE BIG NUT and push the cv through the spindle

Customer:

since its already stripped should I try to get bolt off any way possible like using a prybar to hold hub in place to get bolt off?

Steve :

shure but you will still need to replace the cv shaft

Customer:

ok understood

Steve :

the threads are striped you will never get it back together

Customer:

so if I understood you correctly I need to replace the whole cv shaft assembly thats including the cv joint?

Steve :

yes

Customer:

ok just trying make sure I order all the parts I'm going to need

Steve :

no problem sometimes over the internet hard to understand

Customer:

after I get it off I should obviously inspect the internal parts and replace the ones that are bad or how do I know which ones are bad?

Steve :

wHAT IS THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM YOU ARE TRYING TO SOLVE?

Customer:

I went in for an alignment originally and they said I needed to replace the wheel bearings on front passenger side

Steve :

I get it and you tried to remove the cv and the threads are striped

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I have a chilton's manual and it talks about a locking hub assembly is that what my model vehicle is because it talks about a locking key and that I need not break it

Steve :

click on the blue link and all in pics needs replaced since nut is striped

Steve :

no on the question

Steve :

you do not have a locking hub

Steve :

normally yoiu remove the big nut get the cv out of the way remove three bolts replace bearing

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can i print or save the pictures on that site you sent me to?

Steve :

yes it is a pdf

Steve :

just save it or print it out

Customer:

ok thanks I think I'm good for now thank you.

Steve :

your welcome

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.