Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.

Ford Mustang Antifreeze coolant leaked from under neath my

Antifreeze coolant leaked from under neath my car how come this happend and how can it be fixed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 2 years ago.

Brad B :

Hello:

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Customer:

Sure

Brad B :

With a higher mileage / older vehicle it would not be uncommon to have a coolant leak which can be from just about any location such as a coolant hose, radiator, water pump, heater core or anything else that the coolant flows through. Can you pinpoint about the area where the leak is coming from?

Customer:

underneath car between driver and passenger

Brad B :

front or rear of engine?

Customer:

also white smole came out of the exhaust

Customer:

rear

Customer:

smoke*

Brad B :

White smoke can be from coolant pouring onto the exhaust.

Customer:

ok

Brad B :

If from the rear of the engine could possibly have a heater hose leaking

Brad B :

If you can add some water to the engine (when it has cooled down) it may help to pinpoint the leak point.

Customer:

would this cause the car to sputter and shut off as well

Brad B :

If the car has sputtered and shut off this could be from overheating the engine. Should check the engine oil to make sure you did not blow a head gasket. Make sure the oil is not gray.

Customer:

Checked the oil in the car it was not gray

Brad B :

If you continued to drive when the engine was extremely hot and it shut off you may have major engine damage, white smoke from the exhaust can be from coolant pouring on the exhaust which if towards the back of the engine in the middle you could have possibly blown a heater hose to cause the issue. If the oil is not gray most likely the head gasket is ok. It will ultimately be best to fill the cooling system up with water to see if you can watch for a leak.

Brad B :

Check over the hoses near the back of the vehicle to see if you notice any with a tear in it

Customer:

ok if it is the heater hose how much would that cost to repair

Brad B :

Heater hoses are around $20 to $30.

Customer:

from my understanding the engine is fine

Brad B :

Cannot guarantee the engine is fine at this point, if the engine has sputtered then died this could be from heating the engine up too much which may have cause major damage which you may find when you fill the system up with water

Customer:

how do I fill the system with water?

Brad B :

If you continued to run the engine after the smoke (from the leak) you could have cause damage

Customer:

No I stopped the engine as soon as I noticed this

Brad B :

To properly check the system, once the engine has cooled down a little bit. Open the radiator cap then add warm water to it.

Brad B :

if the engine is cold you can add cold water to it, warm is preferred with a warm engine to prevent from cracking the block from the cold water.

Customer:

If I allow the engine cool down and sit over night then proceed to add warm water to the system the next day is that acceptable

Brad B :

Yes that is fine. Once the engine has cooled down you can add and temperature water to it. If adding when the engine is warm then it needs to be warm to hot.

Brad B :

You will be able to pinpoint the exact location of the leak once you have added the water and ran the engine.

Brad B :

If the engine stalls when you run it after filling, recheck the oil.

Brad B :

After you have added the water feel free to get back to me so I can help further

Customer:

ok lets say this is the problem replacing the heater hose could and would fix the problem?

Brad B :

After you have found the leak source and repaired it yes this will fix the problem. If you find a leak from a hose you may be due to replace them all to prevent future issues. The issue is most likely not from the system over pressurizing or anything else and should just be from a defective fault such as a worn hose (should be done every 10 years / 100,000 miles).

Customer:

Do I have to drain any fluids before replacing the hose

Brad B :

To replace the hose you would be best to drain the radiator to prevent from spilling coolant / water everywhere.

Brad B :

For the most part if this is the heater hose that is leaking you do not need to drain much because the hose is on the top of the system

Customer:

Ok. while reving my engine and letting it come back down this is when it sputter and shut off as well

Customer:

ok if the hose is on top of the system why would it leak under the car?

Brad B :

If all of this started after you had the coolant loss fault you could have a head gasket issue. This is why it is very important to fill the system up with water to find the exact location of the leak. You can still leak water under the car if you have a leak from the top of the engine from a hose. It is very tough to diagnose a leak online as I cannot see anything and can only go off what you say for this if the leak is from the back of the engine but in the middle the heater core hoses are very close to this location.

Customer:

ok I think I understand

Brad B :

Water can leak from the top of the engine then drain down under the car

Brad B :

If the vehicle will not stay running at an idle you may have engine damage to cause the running issue

Customer:

No the engine runs in idle. Running in idle is how I found this problem

Brad B :

Okay, well start with filling the system with water then run it to see if you can locate the leak area. After the leak is found then we may need to go into diagnosis for the running issue. If you have troubles after filling and running the engine let me know and I will help you out!

Customer:

ok I will do all of this tomorrow. I want to tyr to fix this so I can drive my car

Customer:

try*

Brad B :

Sounds good let me know if you run into any troubles or have any questions

Customer:

Sure

Brad B :

ok

Customer:

Replacing the heater hose this is under the car correct

Customer:

I just want to make sure where I see the leak come from is the hose I wish to replace?

Brad B :

The hose goes to the firewall which is in the back of th eengine. If you can see the leak this will help to determine what is leaking.

Brad B :

Theres a cooling hose below the car in the front of the engine which is for the radiator

Customer:

Well like I stated I saw the puddle underneath the car right in the spot between the driver and back passenger on the driver side

Brad B :

Ok, check over the heater hoses as this is about the location for this.

Brad B :

once you have filled with water you will be able to see the location by looking under the hoose

Brad B :

*looking under the hood

Customer:

ok

Customer:

hopefully replacing the heater hose fixes this problem I'll be sure to ask you anymore question if anything else comes up

Customer:

Thank you for your time I greatly appreciate this

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.