Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

How do I change the clutch cable on a 1986 mustang 5.0?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question.

Unfortunately there are no pictures but here are the step to do the job.

Removal

1. Lift the clutch pedal to its upward most position to disengage the pawl and quadrant. Push the quadrant forward, unhook the cable from the quadrant and allow to slowly swing rearward.
  2. Open the hood. Remove the screw retaining cable assembly insulator to the dash panel.
  3. Pull the cable through the dash panel and into the engine compartment. Remove cable bracket screw from fender apron.
  4. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  5. On 5.OL engines, remove the dust cover from the bell housing.
  6. Remove the clip retainer retaining cable assembly to the bell housing.
  7. On 5.OL engines, slide the ball on the end of the cable assembly through the hole in the clutch release lever and remove the cable.
  8. On 2.3L OHC engines, remove hairpin clip, clevis pin and clevis from end of cable.

Installation

CAUTION: The clutch pedal must be lifted to disengage the adjusting mechanism during cable installation. Failure to do so will result in damage to the self-adjuster mechanism.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances should a prying instrument such as a screwdriver or a pry bar be used to install the cable into the quadrant.

1. Insert the cable through the hole in the bell housing and through the hole in the clutch release lever. On 5.OL engines, slide the ball on the end of the cable assembly into cable ball pocket on clutch release lever. On 2.3L OHC engines, place cable ball into clevis. Install clevis and clevis pin onto clutch release lever and into clevis pin.
  2. Install the clip retainer retaining the cable assembly to the bell housing.
  3. Install the dust shield on the bell housing (5.OL).
  4. Push the cable assembly into the engine compartment and lower the vehicle. Install cable bracket screw in fender apron.
  5. Push the cable assembly into the hole in the dash panel and secure the insulator with a screw.
  6. Install the cable assembly by lifting the clutch pedal to disengage the pawl and quadrant. Then pushing the quadrant forward, hook the end of the cable over the rear of the quadrant.
  7. Depress clutch pedal several times to adjust cable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked the cable and it was ok I broke the clutch quadrant? I'm told it's a hard part to replace. Any advice or tips... Pictures please if possible.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
graphicUnfortunately due to the age of the car there are no pictures avaliable The clutch pedel has to be removed to replace the clutch quadrant. There not much for instructions .