Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2001 ford f-250: fuel pump relay location

Customer Question

working on 2001 ford f-250 5.4l. looking for fuel pump relay location. alldata & mitchell say behind radio, not there. dealer says in central junction box, not there either. looked under hood (no battery junction box) & under dash. im stumped
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Its in the IP relay block in the center of the dash.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

just pulled center dash apart, still cannot find i/p relay box. found turn flasher (by back of radio). Saw module unit (not sure what this is) on floor on top of center hump. Stuck head under dash, do not see anything looking like relay box

Chris

The IP relay block is going to be right above the transmission tunnel. Above and to the right of the air bag module.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is the relay box behind duct work? -- do i need to remove items to get at it?

Chris

Yes you will have to remove things to get to it. Its been a while since I had to get at one nor do I have one on the lot to go and check but if I recall I got to it from the passenger floorboard.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i had a senior moment. i kept thinking this was an '01 (what my tech wrote), actually is '02. looking at alldata, relay is part of central junction box & not servicable (according to footnote), any thoughts.

History -- truck could run 5 minutes or 1 hour and just shut off. pressure will drop when acting up. usually starts right back up. replaced fuel pump & filter, listened to pump with stethoscope through tank & when it acts up, does sound like pump just turns off (like switch). this why i was looking for relay.

Thanks

Chris

Thats a good reaon you could not find it. Here is the diagram for the 02 model from Ford shown below.

You need to go ahead and replace the relay in case its overheating, there cheap. The PCM controls your fuel pump relay and it can turn it off. When the fuel pump is not running but it should be, check the power at the inertia switch to see if there is no power getting to the pump.

'graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chris

that is the picture i have too. no relay (that i see) is there for fuel pump. supposely it is

integral with cjb. i did replace pcm relay (from ford -- didnt help). do you have to replace cjb (dont see how it is integral with box)

thanks

chris

I did not even look to see if you can accss the relay, your correct you cant. Its built into the fuse box meaning a complete fuse box is needed if the relay is failing. You still need to verify there is no power getting to the pump via checking the inertia switch prior to installing a new CJB/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chris

thanks for confirming that. i was going nuts over this. if im thinking of this right, i should be able to hook up a test light to power source on inertia switch and watch if power goes out?

Thanks

Chris

Thats exactly correct.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

tuesday evening -- i have ran the truck about 4 times so far (at least 1/2 hour or more) and the truck keeps running. im going nuts. i will keep you posted.

chris

Keep in touch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chris

thursday evening -- yesterday had it running for about 30 minutes, finally quit (while

the owner was here), tried starting & no power going to switch. replaced cjb today, ran for about 45 minutes (OK) and then took out for road test, so far, so good. thanks for your help.

Chris

Your welcome