Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Taurus: easiest steps to removing A/c compressor..v6..vin

Customer Question

easiest steps to removing A/c compressor from Ford Taurus 2001 v6 and the 8th letter in vin is U
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
the lines, are they hooked to compressor or separate? also, new compressor or used?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the lines are seperate and were sent to me as a favor from a friend 1000 miles from here that is a a/c supplier....new compressor, complete with pulley and clutch and it looks like new lines as well as i couldnt reach him to ask him I think he sent me just about everything to do it and i have a friend that is a fairly good mechanic....my hopes are to get it running .as easy as possible, i plan to take it to have it vacumed out and recharged upon installation, and i have a can of flush as well thank you

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
the only thing I can do is send instructions. The compressor is in tight. You will need a set of line disconnect tools. very cheap at parts stores. they are special tool for unhooking the lines.ask for AC line disconnect tool set. really no short cuts. Things have to be moved out of the way

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the power steering pressure hose.
  2. Prepare the vehicle for A/C compressor removal.
1 Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2 Recover the refrigerant.
3 Remove the RH cooling fan.
4 Remove the drive belt.

1. Remove the nut. Detach the power steering pressure hose bracket.

1. Remove the nut. Detach the power steering pressure hose.

1. Disconnect the compressor manifold and tube assembly spring lock coupling. Remove and discard the O-ring seal.
    • During installation, install a new O-ring seal lubricated with PAG oil or equivalent.

1. Disconnect the compressor manifold and tube assembly.
1 Disconnect the dual function pressure cutoff switch electrical connector.
2 Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor electrical connector.
3 Remove the bolt.
4 Disconnect the compressor manifold and tube assembly. Remove and discard the O-ring seals.
  • During installation, install new O-ring seals lubricated with PAG oil or equivalent.
  1. Disconnect the compressor field coil electrical connector.

1. Remove the four bolts and the A/C compressor.

NOTE : The upper LH A/C compressor bolt must be removed with the A/C compressor.

A/C Compressor Clutch Assembly

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • If a new A/C compressor is to be installed, the A/C field coil and the A/C clutch must be transferred from the old unit.
    • If a new A/C compressor is to be installed.
  1. Evacuate, leak test and charge the A/C system.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
must i change an accumulator or something like that?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, yes the accumulator/drier should be done as well as the orifice tube this is in case some debris got trapped in either as compressor is/was failing
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
You can use neepull out orfice and puch back in by hand

SPECIAL TOOL(S)

1. Remove the condenser to evaporator line.

1. Pull back the protective cover.

1. Index mark the condenser to evaporator line. Disconnect the two halves of the condenser to evaporator line.

1. Inspect the evaporator core orifice for damage.

1. Engage the special tool with the evaporator core orifice.

1. Holding the special tool T-handle stationary, rotate the special tool body to remove the evaporator core orifice.

1. Holding the special tool T-handle stationary, rotate the special tool body to remove the broken evaporator core orifice.

INSTALLATION

1. Install new O-ring seals on the evaporator core orifice.
    • Lubricate the new O-ring seals with PAG oil or equivalent.

1. Position the evaporator core orifice in the special tool.

1. Using the special tool, install the evaporator core orifice.

1. Align the index marks. Connect the two halves of the condenser to evaporator line.

1. Position the protective cover over the evaporator core orifice connection.
  2. Install the condenser to evaporator line.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i where would i fit that into the series of instructions you've listed...thankyou so very much for working with me, and the additional parts are they relatively inexpensive?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
sorry, dont understand the question about fit that in? can you reword./?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for the info youve provided, at this point I am going to KNOW that even though my friend is very mechanicaly inclined....this is outta his league, i just called a local garage and they are going to do it and fill it with a new charge of coolant for $200....way easier...thank you so much, you have been well worth the money!
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
your welcome. sounds like the best plan from my opinion. it can be a bit tricky. beat to do right first time :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good deal on here...saved me a world of possible headaches...thanks again glad to know this service exists......Worth every penny and have a good day.....Brian H. Allentown, PA
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. and your welcome