Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2005 Ford Taurus SE: turning key..start position..interior..relay

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus SE with starting problems. When turning key to start position all power to interior systems interrupts as normal. I can hear a relay opening and closing during this process. Can also hear the starter trying to engage but does not. When removing the key from the switch, the relay is still clicking. I have checked battery connections, checked battery is fully charged, removed the starter and solonoid and had them tested at auto parts store. Tested ok. I replaced the starter relay (in position 23 of the power distribution box, according to the owner's manual) and am still experiencing the exact same problem. What is my next step?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

What is the batteyr voltage now?

Turn on the headlights and leave them running for 2 minutes and then check the battery voltage for me while there on?

Now turn them off and wait 2 minutes, whats the battery voltage now?

Get a helper to hold the key in the start position, whats the battery voltage on the cables, not the terminals?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Battery voltage before turning on headlights was 13 volts.

Turned on headlights, which did not come on and battery voltage dropped to .637 volts.

Turn off headlight switch and battery voltage read 12.67 volts.

There was no helper available to hold the key in the start position, but will have one in the morning and will perform that test before removing battery and having it load tested.

Another note: When key is left in run position computer tells you to check the brake system and to check the traction control. Am thinking that these symptoms show up and are being caused by the underlying problem.

Will update you after testing you suggested and battery test is complete.

13 volts, so that means it just got off a charger.

You either have poor connections at the battery or at the other ends of the cables like the block and chassis and fuse panel or the battery has volts and no amps AT ALL.

You can do the headlight on voltage test again but check the voltage on the battery terminals and then on the cables. If the voltage on the battery is good 12.6 or better but its super low on the cables then the connection issue is at the battery terminals.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

With the headlights switched on, the .637 volt reading was at the terminals which has prompted me to pull the battery and have it load tested.

As I stated earlier, I will update you with the results and whether or not battery was the problem.

I will keep this thread open until a solution is found.

Thanks for your help thusfar.

Your welcome