BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

Check the transmission fluid level on a 2004 Ford expedition

How do you check the transmission fluid level on a 2004 Ford expedition
Category: Ford
Expert:  BigBob replied 3 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!

Check Fluid Level and Condition
Fluid Level Check

CAUTION: The vehicle should not be driven if the fluid level is low as internal failure could result.

NOTE: If the vehicle has been operated for an extended period at high highway speeds, in city traffic, during hot weather or while pulling a trailer, the fluid must cool down to obtain an accurate reading.

NOTE: The transmission fluid temperature must not be allowed to exceed 50°C (122°F) when checking the fluid level.

The fluid temperature should be between 30°C - 50°C (86°F - 122°F) closer to 50°C (122°F) when checking the fluid level.
This vehicle is not equipped with a fluid level indicator. An incorrect level may affect the transmission operation and can result in transmission failure.
Under normal circumstances, the fluid level should not be checked during normal maintenance . If the transmission starts to slip, shifts slowly or shows signs of fluid leaking, the fluid level should be checked.

1. With the transmission in P (PARK), the engine at idle (600 - 750 rpm) and foot pressed on the brake, move the range selector lever through each gear and allow engagement of each gear. Place the transmission range selector lever in the P position.
  2. With the engine idling (600 - 750 rpm) in PARK, position it on a hoist.
  3. Remove the fluid fill plug located on the side of the transmission case.
  4. Partially add fluid until fluid starts to come out. Wait until the fluid stops or just drips from the hole.
  5. Install the fluid fill plug.
    • Tighten to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.) .

High Fluid Level

CAUTION: A fluid level that is too high can cause the fluid to become aerated due to the churning action of the rotating internal parts. This will cause erratic control pressure, foaming, loss of fluid from the vent tube and possible transmission failure.

If an overfill reading is indicated, drain and refill the transmission.

Low Fluid Level
A low fluid level can result in poor transmission engagement, slipping or failure. This may also indicate a leak in one of the transmission seals or gaskets.

Adding Fluid

CAUTION: The use of any other type of transmission fluid than specified can result in transmission failure.

If fluid must be added, add fluid in 0.5 liter (1/2 quart) increments through the fluid fill plug. Do not overfill the fluid. For fluid type, refer to the specification chart.

Fluid Condition Check

1. Check the fluid level.
  2. Remove the fluid fill plug and allow the fluid to drip onto a facial tissue and examine the stain.
  3. NOTE: The transmission fluid could be 2 different colors. The factory fill fluid is clear. The replacement fluid is red.

Observe the color and the odor. The color under normal circumstances should be dark reddish or clear, not black or have a burnt odor.

1. If evidence of solid material is found, the transmission fluid pan should be removed for further inspection.
  2. If the stain is a foamy pink color, this may indicate coolant in the transmission. The engine cooling system should also be inspected at this time.
  3. If fluid contamination or transmission failure is confirmed by the sediment in the bottom of the fluid pan, the transmission must be disassembled and completely cleaned. This includes the torque converter and fluid cooler tubes. A new oil-to-air cooler must be installed.

Bob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience