snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

2006 F450: oil cooler..it keeps running hot..my mechanic..trip with me

My 6.0 2006 F450 keeps getting hot under a load , have had egr cooler replaced , oil cooler replaced , i am an owner operator who uses this truck to run freight and it keeps running hot under a load , i told my mechanic to replace egr valave and he wont listen he keeps wanting to duplicate issue and he cannot without taking a trip with me !

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

I suspect you have a bad fan clutch they are notorious on this vehicle for having problems under load when they get worn. Here are the procedures to test it. Most likely you will need to replace the fan clutch to fix the problem. If this was helpful please take a moment to press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance Danny

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Customer:

The fan clutch was just replaced

snapontech :

Did they do a coolant pressure test?

Customer:

Not sure ! I have gauges in my truck ( aftermarket )

Customer:

Nothing that checks the pressure though

Customer:

What would that determine ?

snapontech :

There are two options causing this if the clutch is for sure good. You have a leak in the system or blockage or the engine coolant temp sensor is faulty, You should have a coolant pressure test done to see if there is a leak then have the radiator removed and ensure proper flow. If this checks out I would replace the temp sensor

snapontech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

The temp

snapontech :

There is a picture which shows the location of the coolant temp sensor

Customer:

The temp backs down quick after dropping rpm's

snapontech :

I suspect there is a problem with the radiator having a blockage or the water pump is no longer performing like it should

snapontech :

Both of these can cause this to happen

Customer:

The water pump was replaced last spring !

snapontech :

Leaves the radiator

snapontech :

Let me know if you have any further questions. If this was helpful please take a moment to press ACCEPT. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

replace or ?

snapontech :

You can have it removed and checked for flow and ensure its not just a blockage that can be cleared

snapontech :

Would not want to waste money on something that can be fixed easily

Customer:

What about egr valve not working properly ?

snapontech :

Not going to cause this

Customer:

Thanks dude I hope your right , i am replacing EGR valve anyway and thermostat !

snapontech :

Ok just make sure you check that radiator I also recommend a pressure test they can pressurize the coolant system with the vehicle off and see if there are any small pin leaks

snapontech :

First thing I do with every cooling issue at the shop

Customer:

THanks bro