Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

2002 FORD EXPLORER: KNOW WHAT IS CODE P0735 AND HOW CAN I FIX IT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 FORD EXPLORER AND IT HAS A PROBLEM WITH CODE P0735. I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS CODE P0735 AND HOW CAN I FIX IT?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today.

Does it act up all the time or just when the A/C is on. I have had this TSB fix the problem you have.

Article No.
01-10-7

05/28/01

^ELECTRICAL - TRANSMISSION CONTROLINDICATOR LAMP (TCIL) ILLUMINATED -
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0713 OR
VARIOUS OTHER TRANSMISSION DTCS -
VEHICLES BUILT 11/13/2000 THROUGH 3/8/2001

^TRANSMISSION - 5R55W - TRANSMISSIONCONTROL INDICATOR LAMP (TCIL)
ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTC) P0713 OR VARIOUS OTHER TRANSMISSION
DTCS - VEHICLES BUILT 11/13/2000 THROUGH
3/8/2001

FORD:
2002 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles built 11/13/2000 through 3/8/2001 equipped with a 5R55W transmission may exhibit a Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) flashing with various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in self test. DTC P0713 is the code that is most prevalently retrieved.

This may be caused by water intrusion into the transmission solenoid body connector.

ACTION
If a vehicle comes in for this condition, check the transmission solenoid body connector (C199) for signs of water intrusion. If present, replace the Transmission Wire Harness with part number 1L2Z-7C078-AB. A new harness has been released to prevent this condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 011007A Replace Transmission Wire 1.1 Hr. Harness

DEALER CODING CONDITION BASIC PART NO. CODE 7C078 X2

OASIS CODES: 206000, 501000, 502000.503000, 504000, 698298

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Here is the connector to inspect for water intrusion. You can disconnect it and apply dielectric grease to the connector to help the problem most of the time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still don't understand. Whats is code p0735 for a 2002 ford explorer. How to fix it and where is located at?
Expert:  Mat replied 5 years ago.
Hi I would like to answer your questions. Thomas is giving you information unrelated to your issue and your questions. p0735 code is gear 5 incorrect ratio, this indicates that 5th gear inside the transmission is slipping and not performing as it should. A gear ratio code like this indicates internal hydraulic or mechanical failure of the transmission, the o/d bands were very common for breaking in these transmissions as well as the overdrive servo bore in the aluminum case wears out and the piston sticks causing no 5th gear or slipping 5th gear. So in order to fix this concern the transmission will need to be removed and overhauled or replaced with a re manufactured or used transmission. If you have further questions or concerns please ask. Thanks