Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master
6458937

Ford F150 Pickup my check engine light on my 2006 Ford F 150

Customer Question

my check engine light on my 2006 Ford F 150 came on. First thing I checked the gas tank cover. The truck is running fine but I stopped driving it till I get it checked. The mechanic at my husbands work put it on the computer and said it was the sensor that turns the "check engine" light on. Is this a part I can purchase and install myself or do I need to take it to a shop. The truck has 55K miles on it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

Brad B :

Hello:

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Brad B :

The check engine light can come on for thousands of codes. If the check engine light is flashing this can be set from a faulty coil on plug and is very common, you will feel a rough engine idle or misfire when driving though. If the light just comes on with no flashing this can be for many things such as an oxygen sensor, air sensor, temperature sensor, gas tank sensor, and many other possibilities. To be able to properly assist to find what is at fault it will be helpful to have the code(s).

Brad B :

Being the truck runs fine there are too many possibilites to what is at fault and will need to have a code to be able to properly assist.

JACUSTOMER-r0cmx8ru- :

no he did not give me the code just the explanation that it was the sensor that turns the light on. Mine is not flashing and the truck idles and runs fine

Brad B :

There are 100's of sensors that will cause the light to come on.

JACUSTOMER-r0cmx8ru- :

thanks, but I already knew that. I'll take it elsewhere.

Brad B :

If you can have him recheck for the codes I can help you out but without a code it would be a lot of work in testing everything out.