Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

1998 ford contour engine wants to accelerate every few seconds

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today with your question.

Shawn :

-Does the problem occur while drivig?

Shawn :

Or at idle, sitting still?

Shawn :

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer:

it happens at all times

Shawn :

Is the check engine light illuminated?

Customer:

on on occasionly

Customer:

only on occasions

Shawn :

Thank you for the reply.

Shawn :

The most common cause of the problem you are having is a sticking or defective IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. Before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing first. If you need I can send the test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

Shawn :

• Perform the following preliminary checks:

• Vacuum leaks.

• Throttle plate and linkage.

• Speed control linkage binding/sticking.

• Intake air tube (leaks).

• Proper sealing of intake manifold and components attached to intake air (such as the EGR valve or IAC valve).

Customer:

would it have anything to do with the cruise control or computer?

Shawn :

Is the check engine light illuminated?

Customer:

no

Shawn :

• Vacuum leaks.

• Throttle plate and linkage.

• Intake air tube (leaks).

Customer:

ok

Customer:

please send

Shawn :

Thank you for the reply.

Please give me a few moments to upload the information for you.

And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below.

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work. If you need more help let me know.

5-1 VERIFY ENGINE OPERATES AT NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE

Does the engine appear to be either overheating or not reaching normal operating temperature (for applications with Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, the ECT PID at normal operating temperature should read between .35 (112° C/232°F) and .75 (82°C/180° F) volt)?

Yes No
GO to cooling system concerns Symptom Chart 17 for an overheating condition or Symptom Chart18 for a runs cold condition.GO to 5-2 .

5-2 PRELIMINARY CHECKS

• Vacuum leaks.
    • Throttle plate and linkage.
    • Intake air tube (leaks).

Are all checks OK?

Yes No
GO to 5-3.REPAIR as necessary. VERIFY a symptom no longer exists.

5-3 PERFORM PCM QUICK TEST

• Go to Section 4A, Diagnostic Subroutine Step DSR1.

Is a fault indicated?

Yes No
FOLLOW Diagnostic Subroutine direction.GO to 5-4 .

5-4 CHECK FOR BASE ENGINE AIR LEAKS

• Go to the Powertrain/Engine Group in the Workshop Manual to check for base engine air leaks (such as intake manifold gasket air leaks).

Is a fault indicated?

Yes No
REPAIR as required according to Workshop Manual direction.GO to 5-5 .

5-5 CHECK INTAKE AIR SYSTEM

• Go to Section 5A, Pinpoint Test Step HU1 to check the intake air system.

Is a fault indicated?

Yes No
FOLLOW Pinpoint Test direction.VERIFY test results. If OK, GO to Section 5A, Pinpoint Test Step Z1 , or RETURN to Symptom Index to repair any additional symptoms.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work.