Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

2005 Ford Escape: 000 miles..the life expectancy of the hybrid battery

Interested in buying a 2005 Ford Escape with 159,000 miles on it for $6500. What are your thoughts about the life expectancy of the hybrid battery? The car is only 6 years old but has 159,000 miles on it. It is in great condition overall. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ted
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 2 years ago.

Chuck :

Ted: the hybrid battery in this vehicle is warrantied for 10yrs or 100K miles if this gives you any ideas.We have not had to replace one yet however be aware that the list price on a hybrid battery is $9416.13

Customer:

If that is the case, it has already surpassed the warranty, since it has 159,000 miles on it. From your experience, is it common for the batteries to die and need replacement after so many years or miles? Does the year or model of the vehicle matter? The vehicle is a 2005 and Ford Escape. It seems most consumer reports (Kelly Blue Book, and Edmunds) and personal owner reviews are favorable.

Customer:

Is there a chance I could drive the vehicle and one day the hybrid battery just dies and needs to be replaced? Have you ever seen or worked on that has over 200,000 miles and a good battery?

Customer:

The vehicle is in great exterior and interior condition. But a lot of miles in just a few years, noted by car fax of owner seemingly driving back and forth from California to Arizona. I live in Phoenix.

Chuck :

As I stated we have not had to replace a hybrid battery yet,they have held up pretty well,the only concerns we have seen on this particular model has been throttle body,wiring harness to hybrid battery ,motors electronics coolant pump. It has been a pretty reliable vehicle. We have one that comes into our shop with 185K miles for regular serice but that is the highest mileage I have seen on one to date.

Chuck :

But just the price of the hybid battery really scares me.

Customer:

I also have an option to buy a 2000 Honda CRV-SE with 150,000 miles. From a mechanical perspective, would you buy a 2000 Honda CRV-SE with 150,000 miles for $5900 or a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid with 159,000 miles for $6500?

Chuck :

Just because of the unknown about the life of the battery and the cost of a replacement I would go with the Honda.Don't get me wrong I thing the Escape is probably a better ride,more power,even less maintenace

Chuck :

But if the battery goes bad then you are investing a ton of money

Customer:

Thanks again. I really appreciated your help! Good-bye.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance