Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 mercury mountaineer: awd..front end..cv shaft and hub assembly

Customer Question

i have 2002 mercury mountaineer 4.6 awd it makes a clunk in the front end somewhere i have replaced cv shaft and hub assembly now i think it might be the bushing on the front diff could this be causing my problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Can you describe when you hear it occur the most?

Does it occur worse when turning?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it occurs when u turn at low speed backing or going forward both left and right turn feel it under the driver side front
Is it a single occurance or is it more like a vibration like something is binding?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
single occurance
So far I am not believeing this is a bushing or joint but a concern with the AWD transfer case applying to much power to the front axle. This is a simple thing to diagnose. Remove the front driveshaft and drive it. If it still occurs then do continue checking the mounts and joints. If the noise stops then the viscous coupling clutch inside the transfer case is faulty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but would i be able to feel the clunk under my feet
Yes that is where you would feel it since the front axle and and transfer case are mounted to hte frame running under your feet. I am not stating to replace any parts at this time, that would be guessing. I am telling you to do a short simple test first prior to replacing any more parts. You need to neutralize the situation and find out whats causing this rather than just replacing parts like in the past.