Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Freestar 2004 ford freestar, 4.2l. Starts fine, idles

Customer Question

2004 ford freestar, 4.2l. Starts fine, idles fine, put it in gear and excellerate and it dies. Recently had new plugs, wires,fuel filter,air filter and transmission filter. Not showing any codes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Has the vehicle gotten wet recently?

-Has it rained recently or possible car wash?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it has not gotten wet recently (rain or car wash). All of this has happened about 4-6 weeks after it was tuned up. Have not tried much of anything to this point other than checking the plug wires and electrical connections. Has also had an idle air sensor and egr valve replaced about 4 weeks ago.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem. I am going to opt out, see if anyone else can help.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Can you rev the engine up in park or neutral?

Does it stall in drive and reverse?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can rev the engine in park and neutral. It does stall in drive. Not sure about reverse?

Can you try reverse now?

Does it stall in drive while just sitting there idling or only while appling throttle?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant try reverse right now. It only stalls while appling the throttle.
When you get a chance to try reverse, just reply at that time
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well it only stalls in drive when accelerateing. Not in reverse.

OK this indicates a transaxle concern where as the forward clutch is starving the torque converter clutch of fluid pressure and causing the converter clutch to engage and stall the engine. You of course need to get a in person tech to verify this prior to doing any repairs since this will require trans removal and overhaul, and this is based on what you have told me without being able to diagnose it nor drive it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Changed the trany fluid and filter and added a bottle of Lucas. Was able to drive about 20 miles with a few hick ups, the drove another 20 miles with a few hick ups. Was getting ready to take it to a transmission place and after it rained yesterday, today I cant get out of the driveway. Still only dies in drive when accelerateing.Is it still the same problem?

Thanks

Still sounds like the same concern with the forward clutch except now its actually not able to apply and using all the fluid pressure made.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chris

Took it to a transmission guy, Said it wasn't the trany. Found code P1233(fuel pump driver module off line) Not sure why it only does it in drive?

Definetly odd, I looked and cant find any connection between the transaxle and the FPDM. Did they verify the fuel pressure drops when placed into drive? Have they repaired the FPDM concern and is the issue now resolved?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No the transmission guy doesn't work on that stuff. He gave me a place to take it to but I have not been able to reach them yet. There seems to be number of things related to the FPDM. I will let you know what happens with everything.Thanks for all your help. Talk to you soon.

Sounds good.