Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

2001 ford f150 runs very rough

Customer Question

2001 ford f150 runs very rough
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Steve and I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

I would first check for codes and see if it is a misfire or a running lean code

Steve :

what are the codes

Customer :

hello i have a 2001 ford f150 that i did head gskts on ran great for a week and now runs very bad

Steve :

what are the codes

Customer :

i had a missfire code for cylinder 1 replaced coil and inj took care of that and now have bank 1 lean code 171

Steve :

sounds like a vacuum leak

Customer :

long term fuel trip on bank 1 is at 20

Customer :

i have checked vaccum lines and cant seem to find it

Steve :

check the pcv hose were it goes into the intake at the back of the intake you are running lean pos 20

Customer :

yes i have iam i have pulled hose out and no cracks or breaks

Steve :

feel with your hand while the truck is running there is a split in the pcv hose at the intakes 90 deg bend

Customer :

fuel pressure neddle bounces when running

Steve :

what is the fuel pressure?

Customer :

i have pulled the hose completesly out and moved 90 degree elbow and absoulty no cracks

Customer :

35

Steve :

if the pressure is bouncing then you have a burnt valve or valve train concern preform a compression test

Customer :

i have replaced all inj on bank 1

Steve :

when you have a bad valve the vacuum will bounce

Customer :

checked compression compression is good and had heads rebuilt

Steve :

is it pos 20 or negitive 20 on the long fuel trim

Customer :

positive

Steve :

does the long fuel trim go down when you rev the engine to 2000 rpm

Steve :

do you have a vacuum gauge?

Customer :

no it doesnt go down and yes i have a vaccum gauge

Steve :

what is the vacuum at idle and reved to 2000 rpm?

Customer :

idk havent checked that

Customer :

where do i check it

Steve :

check it should be 21 at idle and not vary

Steve :

reved should not drop below 16 psi

Customer :

where do i check it at

Steve :

if it drops below when reved you have a plugged cat

Steve :

at a vacuum line a red one

Customer :

i have pulled 02 sensors out and started thew truck and makes no diff on how it runs

Steve :

if the needle waves back and forth you have internal engine concern

Customer :

like what

Steve :

need to go a step further and check the vacuum for a proper diag

Steve :

let me know

Customer :

ok

Steve :

get back to me when you can

Customer :

ok

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
let me know what you find
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello checsked vaccum and its where its supposed to be

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
what is it give me the numbers and does the needle waiver?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

21 at uidle

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
what is the reading at 2000 rpm and does it waiver the needle AT IDLE?