Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Explorer Sport Trac Check Engine Codes PO171 (Bank 1

Check Engine Codes PO171 (Bank 1 System too lean) and PO174 (Bank 2 System too lean) came up on my 01 Explorer Sports track while towing my camper. Home now and light still on. What does this mean?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The codes Po171 and P0174 are lean codes bank 1 and Bank 2 and on the 2001 4.0 they are usually set doe to a vacuum leak and on this engine its usually the upper intake gasket leaking. I would start with making sure there are no visible vacuum leaks amount the intake manifold and if none are found, replace the upper intake gasket with Ford redesigned gasket and new isolator bolts.