SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

2006 ford: I replaced fuel pump driver module..runs fine..pins

testing fuel pump driver module on 2006 ford five hundred..... i can't get fuel pump to run. I replaced fuel pump driver module. no luck...straight wired fuel pump, it runs fine.....so fuel pump is good...tested all six pins at driver module...as far as i can tell ,they are all fine. # XXXXX pin, which is fuel pump return,when i touch it to ground,makes the fuel pump run...Im thinking the the pcm is suppose to groun that pin, but appearantly it's not.. help
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
Have you checked the inertia switch to see if it is tripped and fuse 27 at the fuse box under the hood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i did check inertia switch ...working fine .battery voltage is at driver module,so it cant the inertia switch.. i also checked ground at driver module ...that's also fine..checked all fueses and relays ..all fine
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
so, when you ground pin 2 at the fuel pump driver module which is a black with a yellow stripe wire the pump runs is this correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct...when i check #2 pin for ground ,it does not seem to be grounded unless i disconnect the fuel pump.. but like i said ,i can ground # XXXXX pin and the fuel pump works

Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Done that...tested fine....0 resistance
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i didn't know how much ohms i should have had, so what i did was tap into both of those wires at the computer and tied it in at the driver module....didn't make any difference
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.

If one of the wires is shorted to ground it is inhibiting the signal that the pcm is trying to send to the FPDM, the test you did was good however you would have had to sever the original wires first so a potential short would not affect the circuit in the same way, the resistance should be less than 5 ohms on both those wires and should have infinite resistance to ground when both ends are unplugged!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
last question....if wires were broken and repaired,could that cause more resistance? If yes,thenhow do you fix a broken wire?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
yes it could especially if the repair was not done correctly, butt connectors that are sealed inside a heat shrink tube is satisfactory if the wires make good contact with the metal of the butt connector, ford recommends soldering wires and then using the heat shrink to seal it!
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical