SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

1997 F150: pinion bearing noise in the rear end..metal

Customer Question

I have a 1997 F150 supercab, 4.6L with 3.55 posi 8.8" rear end. I'm starting to get pinion bearing noise in the rear end at about 35 miles per hour. I just changed the fluid and there was some metal shavings on the magnet. I have a pretty good mechanic that just changed out the outer seals on the rear end, but now this problem has cropped up. the truck has 123000 miles on it. Any thoughts? I was going to buy a timken rebuild kit for the rear end and have the mechanic install it, but I question his experience with ford rear ends.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
It definitely sounds like you need to have a differential overhaul from your description of the symptoms, what exactly is your question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My you recommend rebuilds only by ford dealers? How much should a dealer charge for a complete bearing change in a rear end, while reusing the gear sets? I'd be okay if the rebuild is around 700 but I've seen where the dealers charge upwards of 1500 - 2000
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

More likely than not the dealer will advise new gear sets as the contact pattern with new bearings will most likely cause adverse noises, and it will cost about $1200 dollars for this repair at the dealer depending on your local dealers hour labor rate!