SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

1996 ford f250 front hub and rotor 4 x 4 super duty 7.3 diesel.

1996 ford f250 front hub and rotor 4 x 4 super duty 7.3 diesel. Do you have to pull hub with puller. I have all snap rings out hub does not move. I have to replace rotor. I suppose they wil split apart once it is removed and the studs are knocked out.....you tell me alldata doesn't say sh*$-.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.

If you have the dust cap off and the snap ring out that hold the hub assembly in, insert one of the screws that hold the cap to the hub and grasp it with pliers to remove the remaining portion of the hub, you will need to work it back and forth a few times to get it to pull out, once out you will have access to the nuts that hold the bearing in! I have attached all of the photos that I could find to show all of the components to the front axles for your convenience

DOWNLOAD HERE 1

DOWNLOAD HERE 2

I will be leaving for a couple hours and I will check in with you in a couple hours to see how you made out

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's great. How do you get the wheel locking nut off!It is not a regular nut persay. I'm down to the half retaining ring, its out but can't figure out how to get from here in other words how do you get the rest to come loose. Use a chisel and hammer to get it to turn. Neither chilton or alldata tell you they just say remove hub assembly,don't say how to
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.

take a look at the attached illustration and let me know what number part you are down to and we will see what we can do to get you the rest of the way.

graphic

Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
If you have number 7 in the illustration out then stick a broad screwdriver between the nut and hub, use the rotor to force the nut counter clockwise via the screwdriver being wedged between the inner diameter of the hub and the nut
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Won't budge there appears to be a keyway on the threaded shaft. I went and rented a set of spindle nut sockets nothing fits the flat sided nut or what I assume to be the spindle nut what a biotch. Help
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.

Yes there is a key way, that part #7 should be a half moon crescent with a key at a 90 degree angle that inserts into the keyway on the spindle, if the key broke off of the half moon crecsent then it might be keeping the nut from turning, try to tighten it up just a little using the trick with the screwdriver to loosen the tension on the piece that is in the keyway and use a pic or similar tool to try and get the piece out of the key way

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The half moon cresent is already out ,there must be a socket of some kind to remove the nut I've tried the screwdriver flat open end wrench and broad chisel. Nothing works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And what is this nut called I need to replace someone else has boogered it up
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
It is merely known as the hub nut, AKA hub bearing nut
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Super super. I found a 2&3/4 tool for 1995 f250 4x4 auto locking hub are they the same. Thanks Ron
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
It might be, you will most likely just have to place it in there to see, ford made so many different sizes and thickness sockets on these trucks between he f-150 and f-250 models there are about 6 or 7 different possibilities, So I do not know if the one that you have will fit inside the hub as different sockets have different thicknesses!
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2&3/4 works. Got it off and back together in no time thanks. Super duper