snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

88 ford ranger: 2.9 L V6, manual shift, 4x4

I am having an issue with my 88 ford ranger truck. 2.9 L V6, manual shift, 4x4. For a long time the truck would sometimes start, but not stay running. Kind of like it was burning only the fuel that was in the fuel rail. I could hear the pump come on when the key went into the On position. Sometimes it would stay running, sometimes not. If not, I would have to try to start it 1 - 5 times. But it always started and stayed running. Lately, I experienced the truck would stop running while driving.
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 5 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

The problem your having is the Fuel pump has failed this sounds like it burned up most likely from rust and debris from the bottom of the fuel tank. You will need to replace the pump the symptoms were the beginning signs of the pump failing I would also replace the filter when you do the pump.

Customer:

Is there a way I can test the pump now? Any way to connect it directly to a power source and see if it will spin? And what pump are you referring? The inline fuel pump, or the priming pump that is in the tank?

snapontech :

The pump in the tank

Customer:

Any way to perform a test on it before dropping the tank?

snapontech :

You can actually remove the bed instead

snapontech :

You have power to the pumps right you said you checked correct

Customer:

I am thinking that I will just replace them both. Removing the bed is not really an option that I want to go with. And what luck, I just filled the tank on friday.

Customer:

I am not certain, I have power thru the inertia switch

Customer:

Here is something that is odd

Customer:

With a jumper across the inertia switch, I get no voltage on either side of the switch, kind of like something is causing a short.

snapontech :

Could be the relay

Customer:

When I first turn on the key, taking a voltage measurement at the inertia switch, I get an immediate 12 volts, for approx 2-3 seconds, after that, the voltage drops to 6.98 volts

Customer:

I have replaced the fuel pump relay already

snapontech :

This should always stay at 12v

snapontech :

if not there is a fault

Customer:

Is there a connector close to the pump that I can use to apply 12 volts, to test the pumps?

snapontech :

here are the wiring diagrams

Customer:

I have the same books that the Ford dealers use.

Customer:

Although I am not seeing a connector close to the pump

Customer:

Let me look at these

snapontech :

ok

Customer:

Yes, those are the same ones that I have. Where is the ECA module? Is this the same thing as the computer that is located in the pasenger foot kick panel on the right hand side?

Customer:

From the diagram, it looks like the same large connector. There is a pink/black wire that goes over to the pump. I can use that, if that is the same wire

snapontech :

Lower RH Cowl is the location of the ECA

snapontech :

Yep thats correct

Customer:

I am not seeing any module in that area, that is that large. I mean, with that many wires plugged into it.

snapontech :

its not too large

snapontech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I see a silver box in the passenger foot compartment that has a really large plug in it. Is this what you are referring to as a cowl?

snapontech :

yes

Customer:

Cool

Customer:

The plug looks just like what is in the picture that you just sent

snapontech :

Then you found it!

Customer:

I will test the two fuel pumps and see if they spin. If they do, I think the issue is the ECA module. What do you think?

snapontech :

Sounds correct to me! Right on the money

Customer:

darn the luck, I was hoping it was something more simple.

Customer:

I appreciate your time and your help with this.

snapontech :

No problem thanks in advance for the accept happy 4th

snapontech :

Thanks again.. Danny

Customer:

Have a good one. Happy 4th