Brian
Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience:  Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 36 years Ford technician.
19733790

STALL..warmed..RUNS FINE FOR ABOUT A MILE BUT WHEN I AM AT A STOP

2001 E150 W/V-6 CHECK ENGNE CODE 1729 FOR THE TRANSMISSION & THE ENGINE WHEN IT IT COLD WANTS TO STALL BEFORE IT IS WARMED UP. RUNS FINE FOR ABOUT A MILE BUT WHEN I AM AT A STOP, IT WANTS TO STALL. I ALSO HAVE A ENGINE CODE THAT SAYS VACUUM LEAK RIGHT ENGINE BANK
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

A common cause for the lean code and stalling is a collapsed or leaking pcv hose, over time the rubber hoses can get soft and oil soaked and can collpse or detrioate and cause a vacuum leak, with the engine running you can listen for a hissing sound and see if you can locate a leak, look closely at the pcv hose ends. This picture is the pcv hose at the vacuum source.The code P1729 is for a 4x4 switch malfunction, double check the code, this probably doesn't relate to your van.

Full Size Image

Customer:

BRIAN, I TYPED IN THE WRONG CODE. IT WAS P 1728

Customer:

BRIAN, WILL DRIVING MY VAN W/O IT IN OVERDRIVE MAKE THE TRANSMISSION LAST LONGER.

Brian :

It won't make it last longer, it prevents the trans from shifting into overdrive, this is helpful when driving on a hilly road or towing because the trans will upshift and downshift alot causing the fluid to heat up.

Customer:

BRIAN, I TYPED IN THE WRONG TRANSMISSION CODE , IT WAS P1728

Customer:

BRIAN, AROUND 65 & 70 MPH THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS UP & DOWN. I THOUGHT AT FIRST THAT THE ENGINE WAS MISSING.

Customer:

THATS IN OVERDRIVE

Brian :

This code is a generic slip code for the trans, the computer monitors the rpm's at every shift point and also when the torque convertor clutch locks, if this is not accompanied by another code, it will be difficult to determine what caused it. It won't cause the stalling you are experiencing, if the trans fluid hasn't been changed in a while this may help.

Customer:

I CHANGE THE FLUID & FILTER ABOUT EVERY 15,000 MILES BECAUSE I FIGURED IT CHEAPER THAN HAVING TO REBUILD THE TRANS. A TRANS SHOP QUOTE ME 1,100 TO CHANGE THE TORQE CONVERTER, BUT THOUGHT I SHOULD REBUILD THE TRANS FOR 3-4 THOUSAND. WHAT DO YOU THINK

Customer:

I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS, 1 IS THE ENGINE , & THE OTHER IS THE TRANSMISSION AT THAT SPEED THAT I MENTIONED.

Brian :

I agree, if you are going to spend that much on the torque converter, you would be better off spending the money and have the rest of the trans rebuilt, chances are something else could go wrong soon if you were to replace just the converter. The torque convertor can cause this in and out shift feeling. And I would inspect the pcv and vacuum hoses for the lean code and stalling.

Customer:

THANKS

Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience: Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 36 years Ford technician.