32dmadden
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience
1361311

ford: put gas..gas in my tank it will keep on shutting the pump off

I have ford e 250.when i try to put gas in my tank it will keep on shutting the pump off. this makes it crazy to fill my tank. what can i do? thank you PS 2006

Category: Ford
Expert:  32dmadden replied 3 years ago.

32dmadden :

It sounds like the vent or vent hose may be restricted. Do you have a check engine light on in the dash panel?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i blew air down it and it was clear

32dmadden :

Ok then the vent hose under the filler can be resticted or stopped up. If you look under the bed behind the filler you will see a large hose and a small hose. Check the small hose. It is held on by a couple of hose clamps.

32dmadden :

Blowing air won't check the hose because it can by pass the vent hose

Customer:

that is the hose i diconeted an ble w air into it seems clear

32dmadden :

Ok how about the large hose. Can you see any restrictions in it?

Customer:

No iran a snake down to the bottom

32dmadden :

When removing the cap to refuel can you hear any pressure escaping?

Customer:

no

32dmadden :

One other thing to check is the carbon vent canister and its plumbing. It is located under the vehicle. There is another vent hose that comes from the top of the tank to this canister. Make sure everthing is clear there. Usually if this system has a problem it will turn on a check engine light

32dmadden :

Has the truck always done this or is this new?

Customer:

no it is a2006 and it started about 2 weeks ago

32dmadden :

Try scanning the computer for history codes and see if any are in there from the canister purge system. Most auto part stores will do this for no charge. I had a Chevy Avalanche do the same thing about a month ago and it was the vent system for the canister. When scanning the computer see what the pressure sensor in the tank is reading

Customer:

that sounds like somthing i will go look at

Customer:

thank you

32dmadden :

Have that done If you have more questions just come back to this chat

32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience: A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience