Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 Windstar: that wont start..relays..solenoid..ignition switch

I have a 2002 Windstar that won't start. The key turns, all lights come on.I have checked all fuses and relays. I crossed out the solenoid and the stater turned over but the van did not start.
I am thinking now it is the ignition switch. How can I be sure that this is the problem? and if so how do I remove/replace the ignition switch? Thanks.

Did you still need help?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the key is turned to the on position, the battery light, abs light, oil and engine light stays on, when the key is turned to start position all lights go off.
Does everything go dim on the cluster?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all goes OUT on the cluster

Ok.. how did you test the battery?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with my multimeter wiht a reading of 12.72, as well I also tried to boost the van with no results
Did you check the battery voltage when someone turned the key to the crank position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, no change
What about the fuses under the hood?

How many volts to they have when the key is turned to the crank position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no fuses were not checked when key is turned to crank position, fuses were only checked to see if they were blown...which fuses should be checked when key is turned to crank position?also i would like to say that when key is turned there is no clicking sound either in the solenoid

They ALL NEED to have battery voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
checked..all fuses have 12v power when key is in crank position

Now check the fuses inside the vehicle for power with the key on and in the crank position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all inside fuses checked with the floowing results

fuse 9...PCM relay coil...fuse good-no power
fuse 15...Console Power Point...fuse good-no power
fuse 18...Front Electronic Module , VCP ( not sure what VCP is ) fuse good-no power
fuse 28...Cluster...fuse good-no power

Now we check the powers going in and out of the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you check for power in and out of ignition switch?
Real simple!

Just like you are doing now.. you cna use a voltmeter or a test light.

Check power going in and out with the key in the on position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so is the voltage checked right at the switch? not sure if this work now invloves removal of steering col., and or ignition lock cylinder?
YES! Right at the ignition switch. You might be able to check it at the bas of the steering column... if not, you will have to remove the plastics arond the column to do this test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is power to all wires with these exceptions
I may be wrong about about which wires are in or out
in-black with green power
out-solid power
There should be two red wires and 2 light green/violet wires that go into the ignition switch and power it up. A total of 4 wires..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 red ...2 light green/violet have power
And what do the other 4 wires have for voltage with the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok here we go...

black...NO power
dark green..NO power
white/yellow...power @ 12v
yellow...NO power
The yellow should have power as well as the black/light green should have power with the key in the on position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so these wires have no power,so what's my next step? are you saying that my problem is the ignition switch?
It sure sounds like it.

I would power these wires up and see if everything comes to life..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean power these wires up? How do I test this?
You run a wire from battery power to these wires with the key on and see if everything powers up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So here is what happened
power to the wires with crank in on position, the cluster stayed lit but did not turn over
RIght.. it will not crank over until you turn the key to the crank position with these wires powered up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wires were powered up and the key was in crank position, only the cluster lights stayed on and no engine turn over
If you power up the dark green wire when the key is turned on, then the starter motor should engage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
looking back my notes, I made a mistake. The dark green does have power when key is on. Only the black and yellow had no power when key is on.

The dark green had no power, when the key was off. Should I still try the dark green?

According to my wiring diagram.. the dark green wire from the ignition switch powers up the starter and circuit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok will try dark green...

I really appreciate this help, I live in a remote area, no tow trucks, do not want to have my van towed with a tow strap. As well, do not want to pay outalndish shipping costs for parts I do not need.
I hear ya!

Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just powered up the dark green wire in the crank position and nothing happened
Well, then you might just have two problems..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, what could the second problem be? I take your answer to mean that the first problem is the ignition switch.
YES.. from what you are telling me, that is what is sounds like.

You could have a bad or blown fuse, bad neutral safety switch or even a bad starter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
checked the starter before , had crossed it over and the starter worked fine

if it is a fuse how can I narrow down which fuse needs to be replaced?

You can power up the dark green wire and trace the starting circuit to see where you are loosing power.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will touch base with you tomorrow,too dark here now to continue
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well the night we spoke and tried to determine the problem it was a miserable day, rainy windy and cold. The weather broke last night so my first job this morning was to re check all the fuses by the light of day :)
The problem was the PCM diode fuse. One side was rusted. I believe that water or salt got into the fuse box and made it to the first couple of fues at the front. Cleaned it off and bingo the car started.
Thanks for your help. I now know a little more about electrical maintenance.