Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

Ford Fusion SE Ive got an 07 Fusion with an FNR5 transmission.When

Customer Question

I've got an 07 Fusion with an FNR5 transmission.When it first came in it was limped in 3rd and when I put it in manual low the wheels were locked. We found that the 2-4 band,Reverse drum and clutch were burned; so we replaced them.Then I drove it and it had all 5 gears but 3rd did'nt feel quite right.I thought it may be a training issue and gave it back to the customer.Now it's back again and the oil smells burned. It's got 2nd and 4th gear ratio codes and it feels like the band is slipping. There are also codes for solenoid B and D. So do you think we've got solenoid problems; or is there some other common issue we are over looking?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. What are the exact trouble codes you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The codes are P0732 ,P0734, P0757 ,P0766
Install a lab scope or volt meter on the shift solenoid circuits at the Powertrain Control Module connector. Ensure that when 2nd gear is commanded on the scan tool, the voltages are correct, then ensure when 3rd gear is commanded the voltages are correct.
The shift solenoid pattern is:
1st gear- SS 1 ON, SS 2 ON
2nd gear- SS 1 OFF, SS 2 ON
3rd gear- SS 1 OFF, SS 2 OFF
4th gear- SS 1 ON, SS 2 OFF
When a shift solenoid is ON, it should show 0 V indicating it's grounded and when OFF, should show battery voltage. If the shift solenoids are being controlled as they should but the transmission does not shift properly, there is an internal hydraulic or mechanical problem with the transmission
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've got the valve body on the table and the A,B, and C shift solenoids ohm out to 2.9.The D and E sol. ohm out to18.3 and pressure control A ohms out to 5. There are 2 more solenoids in the back cover; but I don't think they have anything to do with it.
Yes I understand that they Solenoids have the proper resistance but are they getting the proper commands from the PCM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I drove the car with the scanner on it the solenoids were commanded at the right time but it can't complete the shift.I think the band is burned again because when it shifts to 4th it goes neutral. Something is binding inside the transmission that keeps ruining the band.
They'll look and see if the band is burned if it is then possibly it was defective or checked to see if if the band is applying properly , most likely there's a problem with the servo