Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

1998 ford escort zx2: the cam senor,crank senor ,fuel filter..o2

i have a 1998 ford escort zx2 i took it to the auto store to check my computer codes on it after replaceing the cam senor,crank senor ,fuel filter,coil pack,timingbelt,o2 senor an the fan relay senor im getting a code p1383 but it wouldnt say what it was on the scaner dose anyone know what it is
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

it is because the part that moves the cam is bad

Customer:

i have a code p1383 on my computer do you know what its for

Steve :

out of the top of the valve cover towads the front of the engine is a soilinoid that is bad

Steve :

it is called a vct solenoid

Steve :

F8CZ-6L713-AAVariable Camshaft Timing Solenoid
F8CZ-6256-AAVariable Camshaft Timing Sprocket
F8CZ-6M282-AASprocket Bolt
Steve :

these are the parts you need to fix it

Customer:

would that make my car stall an act like its running out of gas an when it dies you can start it back up an drive it until it dose it again

Steve :

you have to remove the exhaust cam to replace the parts

Steve :

yes it will cause those concerns

Customer:

is that hard to replace

Steve :

the cam will not return causes it to die

Steve :

yes takes abot 5 hours and need special tools

Steve :

parts cost is around 1000 dollars labor another 500

Steve :

looking at 1500 to repaire

Customer:

how much is one

Steve :

9:29 AM

looking at 1500 to repaire

Steve :

F8CZ-6M282-AASprocket Bolt
Steve :

also replace the timing belt

Customer:

can i get a picture of it

Steve :

get you the bulletin on it hang on

Steve :

FORD:

1998-2000 CONTOUR, ESCORT ZX2

MERCURY:

1998-2000 MYSTIQUE
1999-2000 COUGAR

ISSUE:

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P1380, P1381 or P1383 stored in continuous memory on some vehicles. Driveability concerns may or may not be present. This may be caused by engine oil contamination.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure for diagnostic and repair procedures.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The Variable Cam Timing (VCT) sprocket retards the exhaust camshaft up to 30 degrees producing exhaust valve overlap. This controlled overlap allows exhaust gases to enter the combustion chamber, effectively providing Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow to the engine without the use of an EGR valve. The VCT holds the exhaust camshaft fully advanced by internal spring pressure in its normal, uncontrolled state. For example, if the VCT solenoid is unplugged. When retard is commanded by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), engine oil pressure is directed through the VCT solenoid to overcome internal return spring force in the VCT sprocket.

Parameter Identification Displays (PIDs) Relevant To VCT:

CAMDCR (0 to 99%) is the on-time of the VCT solenoid as requested by the PCM.

CAMERR (0 to 30 Degrees) is how many degrees the exhaust cam is "out" from the requested position. Values "+" mean the cam is not retarded enough and values "-" indicate the cam is over retarded.

RCAM (-15 to +45 Degrees) represents actual position of the cam relative to the crankshaft.

Normal PID Values (Approximate):

Warm idle (exhaust cam fully advanced/no EGR effect): CAMDCR = 0%, CAMERR = 0 degrees, RCAM = -15 degrees.

Warm cruise: CAMDCR = 50%, CAMERR = 0 degrees, RCAM = 40 degrees.

DTC(s):

P1380 - VCT Solenoid Malfunction: Indicates a VCT circuit failure between the PCM and the VCT solenoid, or possible VCT solenoid failure. Consult the appropriate Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) for circuit location and description.

P1381 - VCT Over-Advanced: Indicates the exhaust camshaft would not retard to the position requested by the PCM.

P1383 - VCT Over-Retarded: Indicates the exhaust camshaft would not advance (return) to the position requested by the PCM.

Diagnosing DTCs P1380, P1381, Or P1383:

P1380 and P1381 stored together: Possible open VCT solenoid or circuit between the PCM and VCT. These conditions would not allow the cam to retard as requested by the PCM.

P1381 or P1383: Must NOT be set together and ONLY in Continuous Memory for the following to be accurate: Possible VCT sprocket is sticking intermittently while driving. Exhaust camshaft is out of desired position as monitored by the PCM.

This condition could be caused by engine oil contamination. Consult TSB 99-13-8 for further diagnostics.

P1381: Single DTC set. Must be a hard fault. Monitor the following PIDs, checking for these readings: CAMDCR reads 99%, CAMERR reads a high "+" value while driving, and RCAM reads -15% at idle. This condition may indicate a sticking VCT sprocket which is retarding the exhaust camshaft. TSB 99-13-8 may remedy this concern. If concern persists after the TSB flushing procedure, replace the VCT sprocket. Refer to Section 303-01 in the appropriate Workshop Manual for VCT sprocket replacement. If RCAM is ABOVE -15 deg at idle, suspect base cam timing. Check and adjust the timing belt per Section 303-01 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

P1383: Single DTC set/hard fault/rough running engine. If RCAM reads +45 at idle, VCT sprocket is stuck in the retarded position (very unlikely due to return spring force acting on VCT sprocket). VCT flush procedure from TSB 99-13-8 may be effective. If concern persists, replace VCT solenoid. Refer to Section 303-01 in the appropriate Workshop Manual for VCT solenoid replacement. If RCAM reads other than +45 at idle, suspect base cam timing. Check and adjust the timing belt per Section 303-01 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F8CZ-6M282-AASprocket Bolt
Customer:

i just replaced the timing belt do i still need a new one

Steve :

no

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what dose the pvc do an will it make my car try to stall out going down the rode
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
the pcv recirculates the gases in the car. if you have a vacuum leak from the pcv hose it will cause it to stall.