Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

2004 ford taurus check engine codes P1633 KAM

Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

is engine running and if so running ok? no running concerns?

Customer:

As long as I keep the idle up and while driving at normal speeds there does not seem to be a problem. I did not that the day I first had the problem the AC did not work (no cool air). There was also an intermintant noise coming from need the Alternator/AC compressour/pullies etc.

Customer:

Also, no battery light.

Tracer :

I am unsure. teh code is for loss of 12 volt power to the computer PCM. The code flow charts do require the use of scanner hooked up and wiggle wires etc but you have , for the code, either bad battery terminal connections or possible bad PCM. I would start by removing the battery terminals and cleaning real good. Any loss of 12 volt memory power to the PCM will cause PCm to go into default and idle learn is lost as well as other symptoms. the leading cause for this is battery connection, battery or even charging system problem. Tough code to trace, especially without scanner hooked up

Tracer :

This now tend to lean to charging problem. lets say light burned out, the alternaor will not work correctly. You need to get basic charging system test done first

Customer:

I was told it might be the AC compressour and that was causing a drain on the electircal system (that is why we unpluged the compressour). Did not make a difference.

Tracer :

Not likely but possible. You did correct which takes us to next step as mentioned

Customer:

OK. will try that. But light does come on during lamp test prior to starting the car.

Tracer :

so you are saying the light is not coming on indicating charge problem per say?

Customer:

That is correct, no indication the alternator is not working properly.

Customer:

New battery, cables are clean and no indication they might be bad.

Tracer :

this is the flowchart and possibles. the code clearly points to battery terminal dirty, charging system or even a failed PCm which cant be ruled out. IF the PCM does not get the 12 volts from battery all the time, its memeory is lost and affects various things

Tracer :

Then get charge system checked. If ok? you could have bad PCM

Customer:

Thanks. will go with that. (we did pull the cables off for 20 minutes.

Tracer :

just sent code possibles

Tracer :

think of like ( bad expample) you lose power to computer, you can lose you log ins, same goes with vehcile computer

Customer:

Thanks. on to testing.