Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.
6458937

Ford Taurus where are the O2 sensors on the 2006 ford taurus.

Customer Question

where are the O2 sensors on the 2006 ford taurus. 3.0L
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 3 years ago.

Brad B :

Hello:

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Customer:

Hi

Brad B :

The oxygen sensors are mounted in the exhaust system. You have to get under the car to get to them. You will have 2 oxygen sensors before the catylitic converter and sensors afterwords to read the catylitic converter to make sure it is working correctly. If the issue was not present before the intake was removed most likely you have forgot to plug something in.

Brad B :

Make sure all of the connections are properly seated and no sensors have been left off. The front oxygen sensors will be green connectors (or may see blue connectors).

Customer:

are thes the same sensors that are in bank 1 and bank 2 as the diagnostics computer stated?

Brad B :

Each bank has it's own sensor to monitor the fuel / oxygen ratio, if the sensor is showing open and you have no issues before I would suspect you forgot to plug something in. If you look at the exhaust you will seethe sensor in the exhaust with 4 wires coming out of it.

Brad B :

I am pulling up a picture to help

Brad B :

For the front one, look near the oil filter and you will see the sensor in the exhaust

Brad B :

Look at where the oil filter is... Look at C172 that is where the connector is

Customer:

I must have forgotten to plug somthing in I will look a bit harder. There is a hissing or perhaps a sucking after the air filter and just before the manifold. is this normal?

Brad B :

If you hear sucking you have a vacuum leak most likely and will cause an issue. Make sure the air boot is tight

Brad B :

Theirs also a hose that goes to the middle of the air boot

Customer:

according to your diagram i looks like the Idle air control

Brad B :

A picture of some of the hoses

Brad B :

The hissing is coming from the IAC?

Brad B :

??

Customer:

Yes. on your diagram just behind where (2) connects.

Brad B :

The IAC does not have to be removed for this job although if it was removed and you hear hissing (spray some brake clean around it and if the idle changes their is a leak) you will need to reseal it.

Customer:

How would I seal it?

Customer:

It was just the hose that was disconnected.

Brad B :

Here is a picture of the IAC... I have circled it...

Full Size Image

Brad B :

I am a little confused... You said it was just the hose that was disconnected? The IAC has just a wire plug to it. If you hear a hiss and just removed the intake make sure the air boot is tight and the hose to the air boot is on. Also check out the hose picture to make sure those are all tight.

Brad B :

If the IAC was removed you will need a new seal or a thin silicone gasket to seal it.

Customer:

Ok, it is the top left quadrant in the circle. Sorry I am making this so difficult. I belive it is where the PCV tube connects into what seems to be a cup.

Customer:

This was my test. The car seemed to be starving and just before it was about to die, I put a plastic bag around it and it continued to idle better.

Brad B :

No problem, just trying to clarify to make sure we are in the same area. Right next to it is another hose (just to the right). Pull that hose off and then try to reseat it (you will hear a click if it's on correctly). Also if it pulls off without using the lock, either it was not seated all of the way or the lock is broken.

Brad B :

If you put a bag around that area this is most likely from a vacuum leak. Check that hose out right next to the IAC.Also check the hose just above it (#3 in the hose picture) / (#4 in the hose picture).

Brad B :

Theirs a total of 3 large hoses in that area.

Customer:

Thanks "B" Rad, I will check these in the morning. I will attempt to copy the diagrams as an aid. I appreceate the help. In your oppinion,givin the information do you think it is the O2 sensors?

Brad B :

Not real common to have 2 faulty oxygen sensors at the same time. Was this issue present before the manifold was off or did everything start after that?

Customer:

After. the origanal problem was ignition coil. I just thought since I was there I may as well change the plugs, wires, fuel ilter and air filter. That will teach me. Since then I have gotten the engine on light.

Brad B :

Since all started after you have removed the intake, I would say you had to of forgotten to plug something in or a connector is not seated all of the way.

Brad B :

Very rare to have 2 faulty sensors

Customer:

Ok, cool. Thanks for your help. I will look for a connector or a poorley seated hose. have a great evening.

Brad B :

No problem, check it over and if you need any help let me know!

Customer:

oh last question I promis. Is there a manual for the ford taurus 2006 such as chilton?

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.