Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Ford F150 Pickup 4x4 How can I stop noisy cam phasers in a

How can I stop noisy cam phasers in a 2004 5.4 V8?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

The only way to stop the noise is to address the faulty parts which means replacing them. You will also need to inspect your timing chain tensioners at this time to make sure there not causing a loose timing chain concern. Do you need to know how to replace the phasers?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's not the timing chain. Dealer want $2000.00 to change phasers.Is there anything else I can do?

You can run thicker oil but this is going to do more harm than good because it will result in the cams running dry on cold start. They also cant be removed and repaired. They have to be replaced. If you were unaware you can drive it this way, I have never seen one actually break as long as the oil maintenance is maintained.