Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2004 Ford Explorer: power windows..doors..driver side..ignition switch

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and my radio is not turning on, my power windows are not working, and my interior lights will only come on when the doors are opened. I changed the fuse and power accessory relay under the driver side, but no luck. I was told it could be the ignition switch, but that's not making sense to me because I have power to everything else in the car. Could this really be the ignition switch, or could it be the GEM module? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The 04 Explorer is not equipped with a GEM module. You may have a problem with the ICM (Instrument Cluster Module). Before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing, if you need I can send test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

Normal Operation

Under normal operation the instrument cluster module grounds the accessory delay relay through circuit 1004 (LB/RD). Power is sent to the driver window control switch through circuit 400 (LB/BK) from the accessory delay relay. The driver window control switch is grounded through circuit 1205 (BK).

Possible Causes

• Fuses.
  • Open in circuits 400 (LB/BK), 1205 (BK) or 1004 (LB/RD).
  • Damaged accessory delay relay.
  • Damaged CJB.
  • Inoperative ICM.
  • Inoperative driver window control switch.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

You may have a problem with the ICM (Instrument Cluster Module). Before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing, if you need I can send test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

Power Windows-Normal Operation

Possible Causes

• Fuses.
  • Damaged accessory delay relay.
  • Damaged CJB.
  • Inoperative ICM.

Audio Unit-Normal Operation

The audio unit is powered through circuits 1001 (WH/YE), 1002 (BK/PK), and 1003 (GY/YE). The audio unit ground is received through the circuits 1204 (BK/OG), and 1203 (BK/LB) and The Speaker Walk Around Test can be carried out pressing Preset buttons 3 and 6 simultaneously.

Possible Causes

• BJB fuse 6 (60A)
  • CJB fuse(s):
    • 3 (20A)
    • 28 (5A)
  • circuit 1001 (WH/YE) short to ground or open
  • circuit 1002 (BK/PK) short to ground or open
  • circuit 1003 (GY/YE) open or short to power
  • circuit 1203 (BK/LB) open
  • circuit 1204 (BK/OG) open
  • circuit 1205 (BK) open
  • audio unit

Interior Lighting-Normal Operation

When a door or the liftgate is closed, the ajar switch grounds the circuit from the vehicle security module. The vehicle security module monitors the door ajar switch status and transmits an interior lamp on signal to the instrument cluster indicating an entry point is open. The instrument cluster energizes the interior lamp circuits, lighting the interior lamps.

Possible Causes

• vehicle security module
  • instrument cluster
  • fuses
  • circuit 3049 (BK/LG)
  • circuit 1203 (BK/LB)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is a instrument cluster would there be in sign of that in the dashboard like the gauges no longer work? I ask this because my fuel gauge is not working and it went out the same time that everything else stopped working! Does that extra piece of information help narrow it down any?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that does narrow it down even more. If you need I can send test procedures, as well as replacement instructions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much I really appreciate your help!!! Please send me the test prodecure and the replacement instructions, thank you again!!!!!!!!! Smile
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Please give me a few moments to upload that information for you. And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-34n6l0lc,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work.

Instrument Cluster (IC) Test Procedures Click Here

Instrument Cluster (IC) Replacement Instructions Click Here

Interior Lighting Test Procedures Click Here

Glass, Frames and Mechanisms Test Procedures Click Here

Entertainment System Test Procedures Click Here

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.