Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master

Ford F-150 FX4 How do I set the timing chain on a Ford f-150

How do I set the timing chain on a Ford f-150 fx4 5.4 liter engine? I lined up all the marks on the cam and the crank and the truck starts and runs smooth while it is idling but when I put it in gear it starts to run rough and it kills. What should I do?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Do you know what the engine vacuum is at idle?

Can you keep the engine running with your foot on the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The code is P0022

I do not know what the vacuum is at idle

I can keep the engine running with my foot on the gas pedal

Was this code in there before you did this work?

Why did you replace the timing chain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The problem started with a tuneup and a piece of the plug went down into the # XXXXX cylinder and it messed up the valve in the head. So... I had to change the head which the reason I had to change the timing chain

Prior to the work the code in the computer was P0303 and P0304 indicating bad spark plugs

Either the valve timing is off, or the cam phasers are an issue.
Can you tell me how you lined things up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The crankshaft is at 11o'clock ( top dead center), the passenger side camshaft is at 11o' clock as well, the drivers side is ined up at 12o'clock... the spring dampers on the front of the camshaft are closed...
Ok.. let me see if I can get you a picture. Give me a few minutes..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok... thank you
Ok.. I cannot find you a picture for this.. so I am going to leave this open for other experts.

I am sure there are some good experts that will be able to assist you.. just sit tight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok... thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know if you need more info

Different tech here. For the timing to make sure you have set it correctly, to make sure the easiest way to check is on the timing chain you will see three of the links are different colors. The part of the chain where two links are very close is for the camshaft gear (on the cam gear you will see an arrow on the intake / exhaust side if they are pointed in the correct position which is the 12 o' clock position). On the crank you will see the timing mark (dot), this is where the other part of the chain will go. If the timing is good you could have an oiling issue, being the engine stays running with your foot on the accelerator could make this a possible oiling issue. Which I have seen issues where the timing chain tensioner has had a bad seal to cause a leak. Did you reuse the timing chain tensioner or remove it and if so did you check the seal?
Here is the timing information: CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both timing chain tensioners are new.... the chain is set like the diagram... I will reset the timing chain and see if it solves the problem... If I set the chain according to the diagram and the problem still exists, is there something else that could be the problem?
Being both tensioners are good, and if the timing is correct this could be ether from an oiling concern or from the cam phasers. If you have a lack of oiling pressure this will effect timing as the tensioner and phaser are both oil controlled. Have seen times where an after market oil filter can cause issues although you would have noticed issues before the repair. If you used the old phaser the issue could be from that as the original phasers were known to have issues. #4 misfire has been known to be caused from a lack of oil pressure but a new head would have addressed that issue. If you had an oil issue for the #4 misfire the fault could be related to having a oil restriction to the timing chain tensioner. At this time I would highly suspect that the cam phaser is where your fault may be. There is an old TSB from Ford for an issue with a knock / engine noise with RPM's under 1,200 which if all was good above 1,200 RPM the phaser was the culprit, also the phaser will cause a timing issue which could effect the vehicle from running. The phaser will also cause a misfire most of the time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you suggest putting 2 new camshaft gears up?
Ford has had problems with the phasers, would recommend if you find the one is bad to go ahead and do both if you already have the engine torn down. This engine is very delicate to oiling concerns!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will a misfunctioning phaser cause the engine to give the code P0022 and also would it allow the engine to run while idling and then kill when put in gear?
Generally when that code is set from a phaser fault, generally the check engine light will also come on though. If the timing is off this can cause the engine to die under a load (when in gear). Another thing that can cause this is the VCT solenoid, you may try to swap the solenoids to see if the issue goes to the other side.

P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 2.....

From experience if the timing is correct and the timing chain tensioner is new (seal is good), the issue is the camshaft phaser.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok... I will replace the phasers and then reset the timing chain according to the diagram. Hopefully, this will solve the problem, however, if it does not what should I do?
The only issues to cause this type of fault is the phasers, the timing, an oiling concern (which you would have had issues before the repair to indicate this) or the solenoid. Only once have I seen a wiring issue which just double check the connector to the solenoid. This is an issue with the drivers side. Being the timing is over retarded this will cause the engine to stall. If you have an oiling issue the engine would be misfiring and also would have engine noise.

No engine noise and no misfiring would make this seem to be the VCT solenoid or phasers as the issue!
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master