kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

1998 ford ranger: timing belt..lined..up all three marks to specs

1998 ford ranger. I replaced a broken timing belt. lined up all three marks to specs. Engine will not start. What am I missing? It is a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

How did you line up the marks? What did you use for your data for there locations?

kalamykid :

the cam and disrtibutor drive gears are trhe same but both have two timing marks.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

Make sure the dimopnds are lined up and the arrows are lined up on the two gears.

Customer:

I used the diagram you are showing me. Ford work shop manual, put belt on first time off by afew teeth on the oil pump gear. engine did not start. realigned everything to the picture shown . engine will not start. Crankshaft also has a line on harmonic balancer that lines up with the v groove on outer cover and then removed outer cover to make sure the the two triangles alinged on cam shaft gear and inner cover, and two triangle marks aligned on oil pump gear and back cover. Pulled harmonic balencer off to make sure the key is at the top, and removed number one spark plug to make sure it is at TDC. Engine will not start. Is it possible the valves bent when the belt broke?

kalamykid :

It is not very likely on this engine. Are you sure you lined the correct marks up on the camgear?

kalamykid :

Did you line the cam gear up with the timing mark at 4 oclock or at 12?

Customer:

The Cam gear mark is as close as possible to being perfect, When triangles face each other belt is off hitting high point of gear insted of falling into place,move it just a bit to get it to fall into place.Crank gear is hard to tell perfect place could be off by .100 one way. would this small amount cause the no start problem ? And is it necesary to put the serpintine belt back on to get engine to start?

kalamykid :

No and no.

kalamykid :

Can you do a compression test to see what is going on please?

kalamykid :

YOu have installed the harmonic ballancer back on right?

Customer:

yes harmonic balancer is on. It ran fine untill timing belt broke. belt looked woren and fraied.

kalamykid :

Did you do a compression test?

Customer:

no I have not done that . 122000 miles on truck changed oil every 3000 miles. will check compression to make sure it is good

kalamykid :

The comp test will let use know if youhave any bent vaves or if the timing is correct.

Customer:

I have been told it is impossible to have bent the valves.

kalamykid :

Teh 2.3 is a non interferance engine, so it is very unlikely that the valves are bent.

Customer:

last thing is finding the perfect spot for the crankshaft. key being straight up or using mark on plastic cover being my guide could be my down fall. if not loss of compression is it. Time for a new motor

kalamykid :

Lets see what the comp test tells us before we go looking to replace the engine.

kalamykid :

There is a dot on the crank gear that lines up with the mark on the front of the oil pup cover behind the crank gear.

kalamykid :

Lin ethat up instead of the timing mark on the front cover.

Customer:

I will look for the crank shaft mark insted of the one on the plastic cover. Even eyebaling the key to the 90 position then putting the cover on to double check the mark , Their is a big diffrence in crankshaft settings.I have not yet found the dot for the crankshaft setting

kalamykid :

It will be on the face of the crank gear.

Customer:

That must be the mark that is off.It made no sense to put the harmonic balancer back on then the outer timing belt cover to see if it ligned up

kalamykid :

If you can not see the dot, then just line up the first tooth past the key way with the timing mark on the front of the block.

kalamykid :

I have seen the outter ring of the balancer slip and through the marks off.

Customer:

New mission for the Morning thanks for your help

kalamykid :

YOu are very welcome.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q