SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2006 Ford Freestyle sel: s air conditioning..wont work..compressor

Customer Question

My 2006 Ford Freestyle SEL's air conditioning will work when it's cool in the morning and at night when it's cool, but during the heat of the day, it won't work at all, it only blows hot air. I have tried using the a/c without it being on automatic, as suggested by the Ford company - it won't run at all unless it's in automatic. Is this an inefficient compressor??? We have tried unhooking the battery, thinking it was a computer thing, hoping it would reboot, however, that did nothing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for trying just to help you with your automotive question. I am an active senior
Master Ford and Mazda technician. I have chosen your question because it sounds like from your description that
I might be able to help you. If during our conversation I feel like another technician may have more experience
with this particular problem I will opt out of the question and allow all of the other technicians to review the
question and assist you, doing so will put your question back on the board for all to see, do not reply back to
me at this time or your question will be removed from the board and will not be answered. However When I do answer
your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate it if you would click on the ACCEPT button so that
I might get credit for the answer and know that you are satisfied!

This compressor is not an inefficient compressor by design as it is used on nearly all ford models, Your compressor may be inefficient due to an internal problem with the compressor or an inaccurate charge, where as you have a low amount of refrigerant as a result of a previous repair and/or a leak in the system. Also some a/c charging machines will actually charge the system in your car with too much condensed vapors because the charge machine that was being used was too low on refrigerant to accurately charge with liquid refrigerant. I would need to have pressure hoses connected to the system while it is operating to monitor what the high and low sides are in relation to each other and the ambient air temperature and humidity play a huge roll in a/c performance, especially when it is not properly charged! I would advise that you locate a certified air conditioning specialist, who if trained properly will be able to pinpoint your problem upon evaluation of the system pressures!

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
I see that you have not read my answer to your question, If you feel like you need
additional information on this subject, please just ask, otherwise if the answer is
complete do not forget to click on the accept icon so that I might receive credit
for the answer and know that you are satisfied, thank you